PDA

View Full Version : Security System thots

tomnoller
03-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Guys - A dear Stude friend of mine had his house broken into last week and he has begun looking into ways to surveil his home and shop, behind the house. A brick & mortar security store locally wants about $2K for six cameras and all the works that go with it, telling him the wireless systems you can buy (by mail order) are "unreliable". I'm also very interested in adding another layer at my place and was wondering what you might use in addition to good locks, etc.
Thanks for any input.

sasquatch
03-02-2019, 11:13 AM
After my house was burgled a few years ago, I added steel security doors to my house and garage. Easy to install yourself and relatively inexpensive at Home Depot. I also added a Lorex wireless camera system. They make lots of different wired and wireless systems. Not saying they are the best but mine has been relatively reliable. If you are gone frequently a system that allows you to view your cameras on your smart phone could be a good deal. Also, light up your house at night. A bunch of LED bulbs is cheap protection.

what huh
03-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Hehe https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3Fterm%3DThot%26amp%3Dtrue

But back to your question. I agree with Sasquatch, better lighting and better locks.

Ring is very popular in my neck of the woods, been thinking about getting one myself

sweetolbob
03-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Our home was broken into about 10 years ago and I can tell you the best protection is good insurance with a replacement cost rider.

As long as you have windows it doesn't matter how well you lock and reinforce the doors, glass doesn't resist entry very well. I have several Ring devices including their doorbell, which let's you see who's ringing it and you can answer it remotely with you cell phone "smartphone", it also reacts to motion and records that. I also have a Ring hard wired light/camera on the polebarn that reacts to motion. I have two Ring wireless remote cameras that I mount in various locations as required. They all record in either daylight or night time so darkness is not an issue and they all react to motion.

When we were in Florida recently, I placed one of the battery powered remote units in the office looking at the entry door and the safe. I could look at the safe and thermometer that said the furnace was working at any time. If anyone came into that room they were immediately recorded to the web.

The Ring cameras work with my wireless network and record to the ring site whenever the cameras are recording. The good thing about this setup is if the camera catches anything it is recorded offsite but remember that if you have no power then they won't work.

Ring charges $100/yr to record and store the images from up to 6 cameras IIRC.

As far as lights around the property, I live in the woods so it's dark at night and that's the way it will stay. I figure the lights just let the perps see better.

But again, the best protection is still good insurance.

Bob

(S)
03-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Try google: . Simply Safe They make one of the latest and greatest systems that won't cast a fortune.

DieselJim
03-02-2019, 03:55 PM
I have a ADT wireless. Motion sensor in the shop. Switches on the windows and doors. And stickers on all windows, and a sign in front. Works so far.

tomnoller
03-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the first-hand info. Real life experience with such things is far better than advertising brochures.

hank63
03-04-2019, 04:41 AM
I went the low-tech way. Installed a perimeter fence and got myself a german shepherd dog. He runs loose inside the fence and nobody is stupid enough to enter the property. Only one down side, have to arrange to have the electricity meter read (and be home that time), the meter bloke won't come in unless the dog is tied up.
This 42 kg dog works 24/7 and doesn't need batteries or mains power.

studegary
03-04-2019, 09:52 AM
I went the low-tech way. Installed a perimeter fence and got myself a german shepherd dog. He runs loose inside the fence and nobody is stupid enough to enter the property. Only one down side, have to arrange to have the electricity meter read (and be home that time), the meter bloke won't come in unless the dog is tied up.
This 42 kg dog works 24/7 and doesn't need batteries or mains power.

Your electric meters must be very old style. Around here, for many years, the meter reader never leaves their pickup truck or gets very close to the meter to read it electronically. This applies to both the electric and water meters.

hank63
03-05-2019, 05:06 AM
The electronic age is slowly coming to Queensland, but hasn't quite reached the stage where perfectly good analogue meters are replaced with electronic counterparts.

studegary
03-05-2019, 08:17 PM
The electronic age is slowly coming to Queensland, but hasn't quite reached the stage where perfectly good analogue meters are replaced with electronic counterparts.

Both the electric and water meters look like old style meters with analog dial faces. It is just that they are equipped to be read remotely.

8E45E
03-06-2019, 06:36 AM
Both the electric and water meters look like old style meters with analog dial faces. It is just that they are equipped to be read remotely.

Not sure where you are, but by law, they are required to get out of their vehicles and manually read those analog meters (gas, electric, & water) on an annual basis.

Craig

JimKB1MCV
03-06-2019, 08:06 AM
In Maine the power company converted to "Smart" meters several years ago.
My understanding is the meters are read remotely, I never see a meter reader these days.
In the first year or so of using the "Smart" meters there was some drama caused by (probably) defective meters giving grossly inflated power bills. In one case I know of the power company eventually issued a credit for the overcharge. If I recall correctly the power company was very slow to correct some of the overcharges, at least according to the ever more strident local media.

As far as security systems are concerned, being known as a well armed curmudgeon and having several neighbors the same is a great deterrent to break-ins.

studegary
03-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Not sure where you are, but by law, they are required to get out of their vehicles and manually read those analog meters (gas, electric, & water) on an annual basis.

Craig

As it has been stated under my Forum name in 21,626 posts; Wappingers Falls, New York, USA. To be correct; I reside in the Town of Wappinger, NY with a Wappingers Falls mailing address (the Post Office that services this part of the Town). Perhaps you meant that you are not sure of the law where I reside, but that is not how I read what you posted.

8E45E
03-06-2019, 01:19 PM
As it has been stated under my Forum name in 21,626 posts; Wappingers Falls, New York, USA. To be correct; I reside in the Town of Wappinger, NY with a Wappingers Falls mailing address (the Post Office that services this part of the Town). Perhaps you meant that you are not sure of the law where I reside, but that is not how I read what you posted.

All I know is that you live in some small town in a 54,555 square mile area known as New York state. I did not look up where 'Wappinger Falls' is in New York State before I posted as I have no plans or desire to visit New York anytime soon and therefore, don't need to know EXACTLY where you live. You are correct, I do NOT know what the laws are in your area (and I say 'area' as I do not know if your public utilities are regulated by local, county, or state authorities) regarding essential services which are metered and billed according to consumption.

Craig

tomnoller
03-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Boy, this thread went off the rails...

skyway
03-08-2019, 05:28 PM
"All I know is that you live in some small town in a 54,555 square mile area known as New York state."

REALLY? The home of Rocky and Bullwinkle?