T-86 to SBC adapter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-86 to SBC adapter?

I bought something on ebay thinking it might work for putting a early t-86 with 2 piece driveshaft and a small block chevy with a hurst front style engine mount together in a '54 champion coupe. Any chance this might work?

Here is the auction, for a t-86 to chevy bellhousing adapter.

The ad says "This adapter allows you to bolt a BW T-86 transmission to a Chevy 3 or four speed car belhousing, comman in the 50s and 60s. Also Buick Pontiac and Olds. It says on it to a V-6 which would be the popular Buick V-6 conversion. This is an unused adapter. The casting numbers are none to clear but appear to be C13-2 and 941155. This will bolt to a Studebaker 3 speed prior to 1959 also"

54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert
    54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert

You probably need some kind of pilot bushing/bearing adapter also (at a minimum). I would think it would be easier to just use the GM Saginaw 3 speed OD trans. With the set up you describe, you'd have to modify the clutch linkage and shift linkage anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the Hurst front style mount. You really need to then mount the rear off the bellhousing. If you mounted off the trany, you stand the chance of breaking things due to the span between the front and rear mounts. It is tough (but not impossible) to mount off the Chevy bellhousing. Much easier to mount off the side of the Chevy V8 (as in 59 and up) and off the trany.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The adapter in the ad must be for a Jeep T86 with a VERY long input shaft. There is very little difference in length between a Chevy manual trans input shaft and a Studebaker T86, not nearly enough for that adapter to fit.

Dick, doesn't the Saganaw 3-speed overdrive have a fairly long tailshaft? 54stude
      quote:early t-86 with 2 piece driveshaft
      seems to be wanting to keep the OEM setup. I do agree with you the Hurst adapters are bad science in the span between the front and rear mounts.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Yes, the next time I put an engine in this car (If I ever wear out the champ 6) it is my desire to put in a mild V8, studebaker or chevy, or maybe even a caddy?).

I really like the mechanical nature of the 3spd/od and frewheel, it makes the drivetrain quite interesting to me.

I guess I am planning to step up from a T-96 to a T-86 when this repowering occurs. I guess I was thinking the chevy bellhousing might have been "shallower" than the stude by the thickness of the adapter. I only have a 289 3spd bellhousing here, so I can not compare them.

Does anyone have a chevy bellhousing they can measure the thickness of for me?

My mind is definately not set on using the hurst mount, but isn't the stude tranny mounted on the bellhousing so the strain would not be as much as using a transmission like a tailshaft mounted th-350.
        Thanks,
        Brian

54 Champion coupe
        48 Champion Convert
        54 Champion coupe
        48 Champion Convert

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 54stude
          but isn't the stude tranny mounted on the bellhousing so the strain would not be as much as using a transmission like a tailshaft mounted th-350.
          If you use a Chevy bellhousing (even with a Stude transmission adapted to it), you will have to fabricate SOMETHING to attach the Chevy bellhousing to the stock Stude bellhousing mount.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

You are right Dick, I wasn't thinking about the fact the mount is on the piece I was not planning to use. I would definately have to fab a mount on the chevy bellhousing (or scatter shield).

54 Champion coupe
            48 Champion Convert
            54 Champion coupe
            48 Champion Convert

Comment

Want to put a small block Chevy V8 and overdrive in a Stude? In 1956 and probably other years Chevrolet had an overdrive that fit behind their V8. I'll bet most of the OD internals were Borg Warner although the case surely wasn't. Instead of worrying about an adapter someone could launch a hunt for what is probably a super-rare Chevrolet overdrive transmission and bell housing.

Comment

At that point wouldn't a 65 studebaker 3spd/od from behind a 283 make more sense? The only thing I would have to figure out is if I can convert the tail section back to a 2 piece driveshaft, or convert to a 1 piece driveshaft.

Does a 65-66 stude use a t-86?

54 Champion coupe
                48 Champion Convert
                54 Champion coupe
                48 Champion Convert

Comment

Yep, '65 - '66 Studebaker with V8 used a T86 long tailshaft transmission, which attached to the Chevy-style bellhousing with an adaptor, IIRC. Six cylinder cars used the T96. I once swapped a 283 into a '65 Wagonaire in place of the original 194 six, and it bolted right up to the T96 that was in there. Needless to say, the T96 didn't last very long!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Which is rarer a 65-66 Stude overdrive or a chevrolet overdrive? You were most likely faced with driveshaft conversion the instant you said "T86" and "Champion". Where are the experts telling you to replace the rear end and brakes, too? Isn't there a quote about the evil plots we mortals weave? Anything can be done, but at what cost in time and money?

Although I love the Stude overdrive transmission I think at this time (50+ years later than your original)I would give strong consideration to a GM automatic transmission behind the small block Chevy engine you are considering.

Comment

This adapter does look like it will not work unless I could come up with a jeep long input shaft.
                      The Chev 4 spd bell is 6" deep
                      The stude 3spd t-86 bell is 6 5/8" deep approximately
                      The adapter is 2 5/8" deep.
                      So the adapter is 2" too long approximately.

54 Champion coupe
                      48 Champion Convert
                      54 Champion coupe
                      48 Champion Convert

Comment

I have a 65 Commander that came stock with a V/8 & 3sp OD. There is no adapter. The T86 bolts straight to the Chevy bell housing. Its a Borg Warner with a Muncie style bolt pattern. The case is a T86 IZ If I remember right.

Gordon

Comment

I think the 65 66 6cyl chevy bellhousing used a square bolt pattern like the early short tail t86. they used a n adapter about 5/8 thick
                          bolted to the bell housing. So maybe you canuse the 6 cylinder flat adapter with early t86 and the front half of v8 drive shaft since
                          the t86 is longer than the t96 in the champ. you will have to cheeck the sq bolt pattern on t96 and t86, maybe redrill. The chevy bell is the same for 6and 8 I think.

leroy

Comment

There is no adapter. I'll have to take a pic Sunday when I'm not working .

Gordon

Comment

Gordon, I agree there is no adapter on the v8 but the 6 uses the adapter mentioned for t96 trans, as stude used behind the 6 cyl.
                              chevy. I don,t have a parts book past 64 here, maybe someone can look it up.

leroy

Comment

Working...
                              X