Anyone Know this car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Know this car

Which one? There are three different cars in the photo set.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      Which one? There are three different cars in the photo set.
      And they all look, quite strikingly, Beautiful!

Mark
      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Why do they put the back windows in like that? If you're paying to have a top put on, pay a couple bucks more and do it right.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
          Why do they put the back windows in like that? If you're paying to have a top put on, pay a couple bucks more and do it right.
          I agree completely. I think that people see high dollar, incorrect "restorations" and think that if it was high dollar, it must be correct. This has been going on for at least 30 years or so. I bet that only a small percentage of restorations have the window correct, while the vast majority have the window like this.

And all you have to do is look in the shop manual or the owners manual. They both picture the rear window.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I guess because they are ignorant like me. What is wrong in the pictures? I have never had a convertible.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I assume, your referring to the zippers, shown arround them, in a couple of these pictures? I don't understand why, it would be less expensive to do it in such a manner? Doesn't it require additional material and stitching?

I agree completely. I think that people see high dollar, incorrect "restorations" and think that if it was high dollar, it must be correct.
              That could quite likely be true, in some cases? But, I think, perhaps there are also times, when it is done for reasons of personal preference?

This has been going on for at least 30 years or so. I bet that only a small percentage of restorations have the window correct, while the vast majority have the window like this.
              That's probably, a reasonably fair assessment?

And all you have to do is look in the shop manual or the owners manual. They both picture the rear window.
              While, I haven't actually asked, or heard, from anyone who has done such? Why they chose to have them done the way they did? I'd prefer to hear it from the horse's mouth. If any of them are willing to share their reasons, here? I, for one, would certainly appreciate it. I, really don't know, for sure? But suspect, perhaps some just prefer it, that way, over the original style?

Mark
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

They are very nice cars, but they all have non-authentic items (other than the rear window).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Original top did not have a separate panel for the window. Those tops are aftermarket style made for a large plastic window. They then have a canvas panel made to replace the window and have the original window placed into the middle of it.
                  I have found that in most cases, having a custom made, correct top with a full rear panel is only about $500 more then using a ready-made top and it will fit better. If $500 or even a thousand is too much to spend to do it right, or if you fail to research what is correct, how good is the rest of the restoration? If originality doesn't matter, why not just use the plastic window that will zip out?
                  Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  I guess because they are ignorant like me. What is wrong in the pictures? I have never had a convertible.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Our '51 now wears its 4th top. Tops no. 2 & 3 had zip out panels because those replacements were so readily available from JCWhitney et al, and the wide plastic window improved rear visibility for a year or so. The zip-out rear panels were seldom down because they were such a pain to zip/unzip. The original glass window just looks 'right' with the overall design of the car.

Comment

Working...
                    X