PDA

View Full Version : A Bad Studebaker Night

Blue 15G
10-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I decided to check the rear brakes on the '54 because it has been a long time since I had looked at them, and I was also hearing a small "ticking" sound while backing up.

I got the car up on the stands and carefully installed my drum puller. Then, when I screwed the center threaded piece and centered it on the axle shaft, the drum started to come off with ONLY HAND PRESSURE! [:0] I knew I was in big trouble at that point.

The keyway in the drum is slightly raised on one of its edges and I can see a hairline crack in it. I can't tell how the key was in because the keyway on the axle happened to be positioned at the bottom of the axle when the drum came off, so it simply fell out.

I am mad [V] because I have no one to blame but myself for this. I have worked on these types of drums more than a few times in the last 30 years, and I was the last person in there. So all I can figure is that I accidently put the key in the wrong way last time. :(

I guess it could have been worse...it could have come apart while driving. The scary thing is that other than the small ticking sound at a crawling speed, the car gave no sign of any other problem.

The only good news is that the brake linings and wheel cylinder are both in good shape. Big whoop!

Tonight I will pull the right side drum off. I'm afraid to look!

Dick Steinkamp
10-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Sounds like more good news than bad news to me. You caught it in time (no wheel/tire into the rear quarter panel)...AND the brakes looked good. :)

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Swifster
10-12-2006, 11:45 AM
A bad day with your Studebaker is better than a good day at work (as long as no one gets hurt).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

Blue 15G
10-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Thank you for your support. Yes, I know things could have been a lot worse, so I am grateful.

Blue 15G
10-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Things went better tonight. Pulled the right rear drum, and it took the normal amount of difficulty to remove it (a good sign). The drum is fine and so are the shoes and cylinder. I do have to replace my inner grease seals, though, on both sides. Guess while I'm at it I'll check the axle end play. Things don't seem as bad now. The only thing that hurts is having to buy a new drum due to my own mistake. [xx(]