PDA

View Full Version : Civil forfeiture

rkapteyn
02-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Important news
https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/02/opinion-analysis-eighth-amendments-ban-on-excessive-fines-applies-to-the-states/#more-279586

wittsend
02-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Could "excessive fines" (the theme of the article for those who didn't read it) include those for Redlight Cameras? Years ago my wife was .021 of a second too late in getting though an intersection. An intersection that by the way generated over 8 million dollars annually. After the fine ($469), paying simply for the "right" to attend traffic school ($26), and attending on line traffic school ($31) the cost was $525!

For the past 10 years now we don't go ANYWHERE we are unfamiliar with without first scanning the area for red light cameras. This adds at least 30-45 minutes to any decision to go places. And frankly it feels like an obstruction of "freedom." We are not the red light runner types. But, all it takes is entering an intersection, having someone step off the curb and traffic stops. Then there you are caught because a jay walker the camera can't see has you pinned in the intersection when the light goes red.

One nearby city (the county seat) has three of the red light cameras between the freeway and the court house. If you are on jury duty for say..., a week that is 5 X 6 (3 cameras in / 3 cameras out) or 30 opportunities get caught through no fault of your own. Then multiply that by the hundreds that get called to jury duty each day.

64V-K7
02-23-2019, 01:38 PM
If you want to read about governmental income from red light and speed cameras... Check out Washington DC.. $90 - 100 MILLION annually

Jeff_H
02-23-2019, 02:10 PM
I had read 9-0 was the verdict in this case. Other reading I have done on this topic over the past few years shows this issue rubs folks the wrong way no matter what their politics. It sure seems wrong to charge the assets with a crime and confiscate them for the benefit of local law enforcement when the owner of said assets is not charged with a crime.

I have read many horror stories of folks losing their life savings, vehicles, houses, and businesses to this with little recourse.

rkapteyn
02-23-2019, 02:24 PM
Now we have a clear path to fight these abuses.

bumpkinvilledano
02-24-2019, 06:29 AM
I had read 9-0 was the verdict in this case. Other reading I have done on this topic over the past few years shows this issue rubs folks the wrong way no matter what their politics. It sure seems wrong to charge the assets with a crime and confiscate them for the benefit of local law enforcement when the owner of said assets is not charged with a crime.

I have read many horror stories of folks losing their life savings, vehicles, houses, and businesses to this with little recourse.

Unfortunately this ruling doesn't address that issue, only the forfeiture of the vehicle when the owner WAS charged with a crime. The civil forfeiture laws are a totally different issue, which some states have tried to address, with limited success. Not wanting to give up that revenue stream, some PD's have taken to 'creative" ways to charge a crime. The most popular seems to be finding traces of drug residue on cash, and seizing it that way. In other instances federal law enforcement is involved, and they are NOT subject to these reforms enacted by the state.

345 DeSoto
02-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Thank God for the US Supreme Court...(SOMEtimes)

rockne10
02-24-2019, 02:17 PM
Thank God for the US Supreme Court...(SOMEtimes)As a rule, without regard to its own seasonal political leanings, it seems to remain, over tens of decades, the most respected of our three branches.

Mike Sal
02-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Regarding red light cameras, I wish there were a few more of them in certain places. Evansville Indiana is horrible about people running red lights (you really pay attention when you are a motorcycle rider!). At Christmas time, you can never get thru some intersections due to people abusing the yellow/red lights.
Mike Sal