PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Bill Jenkins vs Dick Landy. circa early 70's British Columbia

Buzzard
02-23-2019, 09:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alIH2LxnWY:!!:

Dick Steinkamp
02-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Great video! The Van Isle pics too! I went to high school in Tacoma (Lakewood). My home track was Puyallup, and I spent lots of time there and other area tracks (Bremerton, Kent, Arlington). I never made it up to BC tracks. I don't think Boundary Bay was going in the 60's. Mission was, but in a different location than it is today. Van Isle was too far away and an expensive ferry ride to boot. Jerry (The King) Ruth ruled top fuel. Allen Green Chevrolet (Seattle) must have spent much of their advertising budget on racing. Great memories. Thanks!

Here's a few pics from the Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield last fall. I try not to miss it...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99691157@N00/albums/72157696914576510

wittsend
02-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Ahhh..., the GOOD old days of Pro Stock racing that had some real reference to "Stock."

Down in So. Cal. (Division 7) we had Dick Landy, Butch Leal, and Bill Bagshaw all running Hemi Mopars. Sonny Bryant was competitive in a big block Camaro at the time the small block Vegas (like Jenkins) were more the norm. Sadly I don't recall much, if any Pro Stock match racing like what went on at the time in the mid west. The track in Union Grove, Wisconsin (from National Dragster reports) always seemed to have Pro Stock match races. I guess it was easier to radiate out from the mid west than to haul all the way to California on the match race circuit. Instead, here in So. Cal. we seemed to get 32 car fields of Fueled Altered's. It was crazy racing with short wheelbase, tall standing chassis's and Blown Funny Car engines.

jts359
02-26-2019, 01:28 PM
The really sad part of this is that most of these guys are gone , Thank god we have these films , Ed

345 DeSoto
02-26-2019, 03:45 PM
When I was in the Service at Ft Lewis I ran my brand new Dodge Super Wedge at Puyallup...set a Class record with it, too. Still have a Gold fender cover with "Puyallup Drag Way" NHRA logo in the middle of it. I lived on American Lake, and my Sponsor was Lakewood Automotive. I often wonder what ever became of the "North Wind"...

Buzzard
02-26-2019, 04:49 PM
Dick and wittsend,
We also attended a number of 64 Funny Car events at Seattle International Raceway (SIR) back (mid 70's?) when fiery bleach burnouts were the norm. It truly was the best of times as they allowed us real close access to the action because I had my camera & telephoto lens hung off my neck and assumptions about being involved with magazine publications were made.
Bill

wittsend
02-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Bill, did you ever meet a guy named Jeff Dykes? He was also an avid photographer at SIR. In somewhat recent years he ran a Datsun 280Z Funny Car in a nostalgia class.

Noxnabaker
02-27-2019, 03:06 AM
Looking at the people from about 6:00 one can't spot anyone with shaved head, the days when men dared to have hair...

Buzzard
02-27-2019, 09:04 AM
wittsend,
Can't truly say so but a bunch of us hung out in the staging lanes to get the best pics so anything was possible. I can't believe they allowed us so close to the action. One rainy day back at home, when time permits, I have to go through hundreds of slide boxes to find these treasures and reformat them for modern publication.
Bill

wittsend
02-27-2019, 11:58 AM
Bill, if you go to this link and scroll down to the guy holding a picture that is my friend Jeff Dykes (maybe his face is familiar). A part of the story regards him being a photographer at SIR. The emphasis of the article is rear engine funny cars of which I feel only Jim Dunn was ever successful.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2011/it-s-baaack-motored-again