Missing York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing York

Normally around this time I'd be gathering up my Studebaker stuff getting ready to head to York in a week or so.

Some years there was green grass down there other years a half a foot of snow.

Yup, I miss it.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

That must be why the winters are feeling longer !
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

It was always a great time in and of itself, but it also was a harbinger of spring. Miss seeing all the old friends there.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Hey Dan, I hear what You say ! I have yet to attend NY.,but certainly will for sure. I assume You have Vended there ?

Originally posted by dpson View Post
        Normally around this time I'd be gathering up my Studebaker stuff getting ready to head to York in a week or so.

Yup, I miss it.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

There is a new venue about 1 hour east of York having a flea mkt on Mar 31 from 8 to 6 with set up the day before, Its at the Classic Auto mall, Morgantown P.A. right off the P.A. turnpike .There is a Holiday inn attached to the mall Inside spaces are reasonable at 15.00 for a 10x15 preregistered , They have 400cars inside for sale , Maybe we could start a Studebaker row ? The Contact is Paul Linkmeyer ,www.1960-72 chevyparts.com 610-430-8432 We already got spots the other day , Ed
          Last edited by jts359; 02-20-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

There are just a few folks around who were present at the very first Keystone Swap Meet held in Mike Margerum's garage in Elizabethville, PA.
            It grew to the point where it required more space and moved to Reedsville in 1975., and given the title of Keystone National Swap Meet.
            I attended my first one there in 1976; and when that location became so crowded it was nearly impossible to move about or get to the front of a table, it moved to York.
            So I guess I attended for 41 straight years, in addition to the meet the Manhattan Chapter continued to sponsor at Reedsville. Spoiled by my close proximity to both locations.
            But besides the vendors at the International Meet, there are still quite a few regularly scheduled Studebaker Swap Meets around the country that have not had the publicity or notoriety of the Keystone Meets. I encourage everyone to search them out and support them.
            It would be nice if Turning Wheels and the SDC web site had one go-to spot listing just the swap meets around the country, rather than having to search through the "What's Happening" calendar.
            York will be missed; but new swap meets should not.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              There are just a few folks around who were present at the very first Keystone Swap Meet held in Mike Margerum's garage in Elizabethville, PA.
              It grew to the point where it required more space and moved to Reedsville in 1975., and given the title of Keystone National Swap Meet.
              I attended my first one there in 1976; and when that location became so crowded it was nearly impossible to move about or get to the front of a table, it moved to York.
              So I guess I attended for 41 straight years, in addition to the meet the Manhattan Chapter continued to sponsor at Reedsville. Spoiled by my close proximity to both locations.
              But besides the vendors at the International Meet, there are still quite a few regularly scheduled Studebaker Swap Meets around the country that have not had the publicity or notoriety of the Keystone Meets. I encourage everyone to search them out and support them.
              It would be nice if Turning Wheels and the SDC web site had one go-to spot listing just the swap meets around the country, rather than having to search through the "What's Happening" calendar.
              York will be missed; but new swap meets should not.
              Not as close to them as you are, but I did attend the majority of them. I was at that first Keystone Swap Meet in Margerum's garage. I didn't vend. I bought things there. Then I started to go to Reedsville and then both Reedsville and York and later just York. Many times the weather wasn't bad there, but was rough travelling for about the last half of the journey home through the mountains. Mainly for that reason, I haven't gone to the last few.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                Haha yeah I can remember going in shorts and the next year worried I was getting frostbite. I was just thinking about how much I miss it too.

Comment

As most people that know me know that I love to make trips, and over the years have gone out of my way to get parts to a lot of International meets and a few Zone meets, even one trip to Reedsvile, but as much as I would have liked to make York I always said no to much trouble and a lot of work if for some reason I didn't get there with weather being the reason, 3000 miles one way has never stopped me from doing Studebaker things but this one just scared me at this time of the year.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

I live 15 minutes North of the fair grounds. This time of the year I would be thrashing to get transmissions built. A group of us would go to Coombs tavern Thursday and went to the truck dinner on Friday.
                    Really miss the people I would get to see only there. And yes I really miss the York Swap Meet!
                    Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Miss the "chow line" at either Damons or the Alexander Diner. Breaking bread with the likes of Steven Cade, Dave Thibeault, Peter Crisitello, Ed Jones, Jon Myer, the Lange brothers (Carl and John) Cookie and Henry (sadly passed away) and a host of other great folks. The parts were good, but the camaraderie was superb.

Comment

As a true CASO I was always too cheap to spring for a spot indoors and always set up outside. The weather was all across the board, one year it was warm and a thunderstorm kicked in. I had to tie my 20’ x 20’ canopy down with engine blocks and other heavy items to keep it from blowing away.

Comment

Hasn't anyone read post 5, Here is a opportunity to start a new venue , Ed

Comment

I have been told that the large parking lots at Keyport (NJ) High School can be rented for events.
                            Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                            Hasn't anyone read post 5, Here is a opportunity to start a new venue , Ed

Comment

For those nostalgic for the highly variable early March York weather, I can report that the weather at the York Fairgrounds at noon today was 35 degrees F, with about 4" of melting snow on the ground and light flurries.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X