Determining Overdrive???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining Overdrive???

I am in the process of restoring a 54 coupe and I had my transmission rebuilt, but I know nothing about it. How do I determine if my car has overdrive . It is an automatic transmission I do know that much.

Thanks

Domenic Manera
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745

Studebaker automatics did not have overdrive, just the 3 speed manuals and it was optional on those.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Studebaker automatics did not have overdrive, just the 3 speed manuals and it was optional on those.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Automatic transmissions with overdrive did not appear until the 1980s, after the oil crises of the 1970s suddenly made gas mileage more important to many motorists. Before that, automatics generally had two, three, or four forward gears, with the highest gear being a 1:1 ratio.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Automatic transmissions with overdrive did not appear until the 1980s, after the oil crises of the 1970s suddenly made gas mileage more important to many motorists. Before that, automatics generally had two, three, or four forward gears, with the highest gear being a 1:1 ratio.

Skip Lackie
          Washington DC
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Your car's automatic does not have an overdrive gear, but it does have a lock up torque converter. This is what makes some people think that it is going into another gear, but it isn't - it is still 1:1, but without the slippage. This is a good transmission that is also economical in use due to the lock up torque converter.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Your car's automatic does not have an overdrive gear, but it does have a lock up torque converter. This is what makes some people think that it is going into another gear, but it isn't - it is still 1:1, but without the slippage. This is a good transmission that is also economical in use due to the lock up torque converter.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks very much I have a clear understanding of exactly what I have now.

Domenic Manera
                York, SC 29745

Comment

Thanks very much I have a clear understanding of exactly what I have now.

Domenic Manera
                  York, SC 29745

Comment

Also, since I don't see whether or not your '54's a Champion or a Commander, the Champion debuted the 1st gear start arrangement in the DG transmission in '54. The next year, all three lines had first gear start. Champion, Commander & President.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Also, since I don't see whether or not your '54's a Champion or a Commander, the Champion debuted the 1st gear start arrangement in the DG transmission in '54. The next year, all three lines had first gear start. Champion, Commander & President.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X