Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken coop full of rare muscle cars (including 1962 Stude Daytona convertible)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken coop full of rare muscle cars (including 1962 Stude Daytona convertible)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/clas...mage=BBTAXqt|3From Hotrod magazine:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/check-out-this-old-chicken-coop-full-of-rare-muscle-cars/ar-BBTAXqx?ocid=spartanntp#image=BBTAXqt|3

Last edited by Milaca; 02-17-2019, 08:36 AM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

That Daytona convertible has been there a long time; check out the wide whites.

Quick, get the Serial Number and we'll see if it is one of the 1962 Indianapolis 500 Pace Cars or 500 Festival Cars! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Quick, get the Serial Number and we'll see if it is one of the 1962 Indianapolis 500 Pace Cars or 500 Festival Cars!
      Interesting for sure! It appears they knew what to look for when it came to Pace Cars. The paragraph pertaining to the '62 Lark which states it is a 'tribute' car:

"Of all the cars they liked, the family was really into pace cars. It didn't matter what kind of pace car it was—if it was at the front of the pack during the parade laps at a NASCAR or Indy Car race, they wanted it. There was a little bit of everything, from a Studebaker Lark convertible pace car tribute all the way to factory-made Indy 500 pace car Fieros and Camaros. If they could not get an actual pace car model, they would get the same car and make tributes as close as possible to the originals.

The barn was filled from front to back and side to side with cars, most of them too close to one another to even open their doors. Many of them had been in there so long they had sunk into the dirt. But there was gold in the barn. Right up front was the Lark convertible that had been built as a tribute to the original 1962 Studebaker Lark pace car. It showed the scars from a 1999 fire that started in an outside bay at the storage warehouse and quickly spread to the rest of the building, engulfing the warehouse that housed a good portion of the cars that were not on display or in this barn. The family lost 53 cars, 43 of which were pace cars of some form. The Lark was lucky to have (barely) survived.
      "

Craig

Comment

Since when is a Studebaker Lark a muscle car?

The term wasn't coined until 1964 (by M/T) and referred to a midsize car with a large V8 from a full sized car.

John Z. DeLorean's 1964 Pontiac GTO is considered the first.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
          Since when is a Studebaker Lark a muscle car?

The term wasn't coined until 1964 (by M/T) and referred to a midsize car with a large V8 from a full sized car.

John Z. DeLorean's 1964 Pontiac GTO is considered the first.
          We've debated that one to death here at least a couple of times:

Craig

Comment

IMO it isn't, because it doesn't fit the criteria. But today, the term Muscle Car has become muddled with people calling Mustang's, Camaro's et al as Muscle Cars.

Back in the 1960's, these were called Pony Cars, that referred to the Mustang and its rivals.

Comment

I dont think anyone is referring to this 1962 Lark as a muscle car, it is simply in an automobile collection that contains muscle cars. However, in my opinion, I would consider a 1963 Lark or 1964 Lark-type Studebaker with a factory installed R-series engine to be an authentic muscle car.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                I dont think anyone is referring to this 1962 Lark as a muscle car, it is simply in an automobile collection that contains muscle cars. However, in my opinion, I would consider a 1963 Lark or 1964 Lark-type Studebaker with a factory installed R-series engine to be an authentic muscle car.
                I wouldn't, it doesn't fit the criteria because Studebaker did not have a full sized car to 'donate' a large V8 to a mid sized car (Lark), that is if you consider the Lark a mid sized car.

What other cars in the background would you consider to be muscle cars? They are hard to make out, but from what I can see, there aren't any.

I see what appears to be a big tubby Chrysler with possibly a 1962 Ford Sunliner next to it.

Comment

I agree with you about the "muscle car" moniker. It has become that anything with a V8 in it is now refered to as one, most of which are simply grandma's grocery getter. I've never liked the term anyway, but as far as I'm concerned the only cars that would qualify are those that were factory modified from that basic grocery getter for higher horsepower and performance. You are also correct, "pony cars" are "pony cars" NOT "muscle cars", they never were.

Now, what is a C/K with a Packard engine and/or a supercharger put there by the factory for the expressed purpose of making more power in the mid size car? I'd call it a "muscle car", if that were a term I used. 1956- muscle car? There were several others that also qualify prior to the GTO.

Comment

Who's florida collection burned a couple years ago? could this be part of that?

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                      IMO it isn't, because it doesn't fit the criteria. But today, the term Muscle Car has become muddled with people calling Mustang's, Camaro's et al as Muscle Cars.

Back in the 1960's, these were called Pony Cars, that referred to the Mustang and its rivals.
                      You can thank the insurance companies for that. To them, it is not 'muddied'; either its a "muscle car" (more $$$ to insure), or it isn't one.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                        Who's florida collection burned a couple years ago? could this be part of that?
                        You're thinking of David ???? ('Can't think of his last name right now...someone help me out...he owned The Bantam Chef restaurant), whose collection was indeed decimated by fire.

However, these cars are located in rural Wisconsin, per the article, so there are probably none of David's damaged cars among them. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          You're thinking of David ???? ('Can't think of his last name right now...someone help me out...he owned The Bantam Chef restaurant), whose collection was indeed decimated by fire.

However, these cars are located in rural Wisconsin, per the article, so there are probably none of David's damaged cars among them. BP
                          David Walker is the man who had the fire.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes it was David Walker: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Horrible-news

Craig

Comment

Thanks, guys; David Walker indeed. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X