Heater Control Valve??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Control Valve??

Can someone explain to me how the heater control valve works on a 54 coupe? I know you pull the control handle to open the valve and it allows the hot water from the water pump to flow, but I do not understatnd the purpose of the thermostat wire leading from the edge.

Thanks

Domenic Manera
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745

It's a crude climate control to regulate the heat in the cabin.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 wagon
    39 Coupe express
    JDP Maryland

Comment

It's a crude climate control to regulate the heat in the cabin.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 wagon
      39 Coupe express
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks a lot, I sorta thought that was what it did, so the thermostat wire has no purpose I guess.

Domenic Manera
        York, SC 29745

Comment

Thanks a lot, I sorta thought that was what it did, so the thermostat wire has no purpose I guess.

Domenic Manera
          York, SC 29745

Comment

The thermostat wire, if it is entire (doesn't leak) adjusts the amount of hot water going to the heater. As the heat in the cabin rises, the amount of hot water decreases. If it's adjusted right, you don't need to adjust it, just leave it alone.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

The thermostat wire, if it is entire (doesn't leak) adjusts the amount of hot water going to the heater. As the heat in the cabin rises, the amount of hot water decreases. If it's adjusted right, you don't need to adjust it, just leave it alone.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe
              '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

The "thermostat wire" has a purpose. I forget the technical term but if it works, by hanging down, it will adjust the heat level, not the fan motor like todays cars.

Becareful not to break it, or twist it or crimp it.

Comment

The "thermostat wire" has a purpose. I forget the technical term but if it works, by hanging down, it will adjust the heat level, not the fan motor like todays cars.

Becareful not to break it, or twist it or crimp it.

Comment

The thermostatic control works everywhere on the settings EXCEPT full on or full OFF, the Owners Manual explains the operation of the Climitizer and reminds you that the system does NOT work unless you open the right outside air vent!

You would be surprised how many people drove Studes for years and always wondered why there was very little heat!

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

/cut/The "thermostat wire" has a purpose. I forget the technical term but if it works, by hanging down, it will adjust the heat level/cut
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The thermostatic control works everywhere on the settings EXCEPT full on or full OFF, the Owners Manual explains the operation of the Climitizer and reminds you that the system does NOT work unless you open the right outside air vent!

You would be surprised how many people drove Studes for years and always wondered why there was very little heat!

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

/cut/The "thermostat wire" has a purpose. I forget the technical term but if it works, by hanging down, it will adjust the heat level/cut
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:You would be surprised how many people drove Studes for years and always wondered why there was very little heat!
                        That's why there is a door on the inside so air will go to the heater core and not into the passenger compartment. If you look at the pictures of Studebakers in the snow that I posted, only about half of them have the right vent door open.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:You would be surprised how many people drove Studes for years and always wondered why there was very little heat!
                          That's why there is a door on the inside so air will go to the heater core and not into the passenger compartment. If you look at the pictures of Studebakers in the snow that I posted, only about half of them have the right vent door open.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

The right outside vent door is open in my car all winter. The heater motor is only on until the cabin is comfortable; then, I may even reduce the heater control. That thing can make it unbearably warm, even in the coldest weather.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The right outside vent door is open in my car all winter. The heater motor is only on until the cabin is comfortable; then, I may even reduce the heater control. That thing can make it unbearably warm, even in the coldest weather.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X