Does Anyone Use There Stude Truck To Plow Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Use There Stude Truck To Plow Snow

Hi I was talking to another club member a few days ago we wondering if any club member uses there Stude truck to plow snow ??
    Joseph Kastellec

I never used a Studebaker but I did use my 64 Ford F250 4X4 to plow snow commercially through 1986. I pushed a Western 8' plow. I welded two floors in that truck. It was still the best one I had for plowing including my current Superduty.
    james r pepper

Comment

I do, I do! Retired from over the road service now just do small jobs, neighbors drive ways etc.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	snow plow 1937 captioned.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1725052
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        I do, I do! Retired from over the road service now just do small jobs, neighbors drive ways etc.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]78287[/ATTACH]
        WOW! No tire chains; 6-cylinder engine (although no doubt lots of torque); long before snow tires; long before power steering; short wheelbase and vacuum windshield wipers! I suspect that the snow the plows could move is a lot more than the truck could handle. Richard, you earned your wages with this rig!
        Bill Jarvis

Comment

Check with Ted Jensen and Paul Johnson, both had Stude 4x4’s and think each was set up for a plow.

Comment

I know one person in Nova Scotia who use to plow his driveway with an 8-foot Fisher plow on a rare 1959 Studebaker 4X4 pickup. Probably he would not wish to be identified.
            Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
              Check with Ted Jensen and Paul Johnson, both had Stude 4x4’s and think each was set up for a plow.
              I sold my 4x4 to George Hamlin a few years ago and it's quite possible that he has used it to plow his drive. He drives ONLY Studebakers (except for one Packard Caribbean convertible).

My truck was pretty much a one of a kind- ordered for the Studebaker dealer in South Burlington, Vermont as a cab and chassis for his own use. Being a thrifty man he ordered the truck as a 1960 one-ton single axle 245 cid six, 4-speed tranny with a granny gear, and a 5.19 rear end, He built a large wooden tool box which he installed immediately behind the cab then finished the truck by placing a six-foot International pickup bed on the back of the frame. Then he placed a crane and winch in that bed and made himself a wrecker. The reason it was one of a kind is it was built for him in 1961 when the big six cylinder engine was no longer used, but apparently Studebaker made an exception for him.

Buying it and driving it home is a long story in itself (driving approximately 540 miles through the night in a very rusty, drafty truck using a lot of gasoline back when it was rationed such that I had to stop about every 50 or 60 miles to get my allowed 8 gallons).
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Stude Snowplows

Here are a couple of old photos showing a couple of Stude trucks plowing snow.

Name:	Stude Snowplow.jpg
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1725108Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1461.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1725109
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]78287[/ATTACH]
                  I believe this was an aerodynamic study. The addition 3300 pounds actually improved gas mileage over a normal COE truck.

Comment

Here is my application on our rural mountain property in British Columbia: With 10 wheel drive you can't stop it!

Name:	2015 pics 342.jpg
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1725313Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 pics 343.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1725314Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 pics 344.jpg
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1725315Bill

Comment

Mine blocks the snow, if that counts, along with it's manual counterpartClick image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	1725321
                      George

Comment

Originally posted by G T Joe View Post
                        Hi I was talking to another club member a few days ago we wondering if any club member uses there Stude truck to plow snow ??
                        Did you mean "Their?"
                        peter lee

Comment

Working...
                        X