Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the noticeable differences between the 1956 President and Commander models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the noticeable differences between the 1956 President and Commander models?

Were there also long wheelbase Commander models?

FWIW, I'd never really noticed a 2-door '56 President, but since a friend has restored her family one-owner, I've begun to see more of them around.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Were there also long wheelbase Commander models?

FWIW, I'd never really noticed a 2-door '56 President, but since a friend has restored her family one-owner, I've begun to see more of them around.

jack vines
    1. The long-wheelbase 4-door was avaiable only in the President series; the President Classic.

2. Domestic Presidents all had the 289 engine; Commanders, all 259s.

3. There was a lower-priced trim level Commander series; the Commander Custom, in addition to the higher-trimmed and more common Commander DeLuxe series. All Presidents were the same trim level, except President Classic 4-doors.

Those are the basic differences, Jack. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The "Other Thing" that as far as I know of Post War Studes. only happened in 1956 and 1957, is the President 4 Doors came in BOTH the 116 In. wheelbase 4 Door Sedans, "W" Body, AND the 120 Inch Wheelbase President Classic "Y" Body as Bob P. mentioned.

The President 4 Door (short W/B) "W" Body is very little different on the outside from the Commander Deluxe, just has a 289, even has Rubber Floor mats.

People here, have nicknamed these "Vice" Presidents!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The "Other Thing" that as far as I know of Post War Studes. only happened in 1956 and 1957, is the President 4 Doors came in BOTH the 116 In. wheelbase 4 Door Sedans, "W" Body, AND the 120 Inch Wheelbase President Classic "Y" Body as Bob P. mentioned.

The President 4 Door (short W/B) "W" Body is very little different on the outside from the Commander Deluxe, just has a 289, even has Rubber Floor mats.

People here, have nicknamed these "Vice" Presidents!
        What Rich said.

In the case of W-body Presidents and Commander 4-doors, W-body Presidents still had two bodyside stainless-steel moldings, whereas Commander DeLuxes only had one. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          I bet it was this one, which was in the Northwest at one time:

Craig

Comment

Other than President Classic models, Y bodies (120.5 inch wb) could be ordered as 1956 police cars.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X