PDA

View Full Version : Found: The fate of the infamous Sullivan Brothers. Wreck of the USS Juneau.

Buzzard
01-16-2019, 04:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFqIotUYIw4

t walgamuth
01-16-2019, 04:43 PM
Very sad. I remember reading that Lincoln wrote each family personally when their son or daughter was lost. He said the worst thing he had to do was write the parents telling them that all five of their sons had died in the war.

I thought there was safeguards for such things by WW2...?

Skip Lackie
01-16-2019, 05:47 PM
It was the loss of the Sullivan brothers that caused the Navy to prohibit siblings from sailing together without special dispensation. Two ships have been named for the Sullivans. The first is on display in Buffalo. The second is still active.

WinM1895
01-16-2019, 07:25 PM
Paul Allen and crew also found the wreck of the heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis, the ship that transported the Hiroshima A-Bomb to Tinian.

The Juneau was a CL-AA (Light Cruiser-Anti-Aircraft) that shouldn't have participated in the battle. She had 16 5" guns arranged in 8 turrets (8X2).

The cruise ship dock in Juneau AK has a memorial to the USS Juneau (CL-52).

Mike Sal
01-17-2019, 09:41 AM
I first learned of the history of the brothers when I was a kid collecting stamps. A stamp honoring them caught my attention so I researched the tragedy.
Mike Sal