My Grandpa's 1951 Starlight Coupe Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grandpa's 1951 Starlight Coupe Boat

I wish I had a picture of this, but it's not hard to imagine. I was just thinking today what my earliest recollection of a Studebaker was, and it was my Grandpa Randall. He was a hard worker mostly working on someone else's farm. It was the mid to late 50's, Chris Craft and other boat manufacturers had developed some pretty cool looking boats, designs taken from the car industry, noses, fins, tops, interiors. Well my grandpa hard working and broke could never afford something like that, so he made his own, he had a wood boat, found a wrecked Starlight Coupe, cut the top off married the two together and used it as the windshield, I remember thinking how cool that was, and how smart my grandpa was.

I've heard there was an article written in the Studebaker Drivers Club magazine, about one of these years ago with photo's, I don't know if it was grandpa's or not.

A bullet-nose boat would be rather cool.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Yes it would.

Comment

I think there was some pictures on Facebook a while back that might be what you’re looking for.

Comment

I think that it might have been covered on this SDC Forum. I don't remember it being in TW. If it was here, Craig can probably find it.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gary that would be great.

Comment

I have also seen those pictures of a boat fitted with a early starlight coupe roof. Probably have them somewhere in my 56 year collection.

Comment

Anyone remember seeing the RV camper with the curved 4 window roof of a bulletnose installed like a turret on top of the camper? It housed the sleeping quarters of the camper... Painted dark blue, as I recall.
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

There was one here near Needles Calif. with a '53-55 coupe/hardtop rear window for a windshield but I missed my opportunity to photograph and post here.
                  If it shows again I surely will.
                  Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill

Comment

I have found 1 photo not very good but you'll get the idea, on this boat they used the entire top right up to the wing windows.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That one appears to be permanently dry-docked.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          That one appears to be permanently dry-docked.
                          Looks that way.

Comment

looks like it was done as a joke. Or found that way and moved there for fun. Look at the sign in the window

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                              Anyone remember seeing the RV camper with the curved 4 window roof of a bulletnose installed like a turret on top of the camper? It housed the sleeping quarters of the camper... Painted dark blue, as I recall.
                              Yes, I have poor pictures of it. It was in the Nipomo, Ca area. Also appeared on some television show.
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X