View Full Version : Greatest Beer Run Ever........

01-14-2019, 10:45 AM
(My favorite video so far this year:!!:)


01-14-2019, 12:43 PM
What a hoot!

Colgate Studebaker
01-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Good one Jeff. Fortunately I never had extended time in country, being a swab jockey you know. Lol Bill

01-14-2019, 03:30 PM
A great video , Thanks , Ed

01-14-2019, 08:59 PM
Thanks for posting that, Jeff. Funny thing, at first I didn't notice that this was in the Stove Huggers forum. I thought I was going to see the bed of your Coupe Express full of six packs of beer, along with some goofy story of how it happened.:rolleyes: Man! was I wrong!?:oops:

At the time these guys were there, so was I. I was in the Air Force stationed at Ton Son Nhut air base just outside Saigon. The night the Tet Offensive kicked off, I recall sitting at an observation deck watching fireworks as folks were celebrating the Vietnamese New Year (Tet). My recollection is that as night fell, a lot of us had gathered and were watching all the fireworks. The Vietnamese were firing off fireworks just like we do here on the fourth of July and New Years. After a while, our group began to diminish in number as folks began to lose interest, drift away to get ready for the next day and turn in for the night. I never slept well growing up, and that problem certainly didn't get any better in Vietnam. As midnight approached, there were only a couple of people besides me on that deck. Fireworks were still being set off...but something changed. It took us a bit to realize that the crackle of firecrackers took on a more serious tone. The base perimeter suddenly lit up with signal flares. The typical ever presence of the overhead aircraft (C-47 or "Gooney Birds) that parachuted flares all night, every night, began to kick out more than the usual number. Pretty much turning the place into daylight. Much of that time has faded in my memory, but I don't think I got a night sleep for about three days. I don't recall how long it was but after days went by, we were told that things were under control...but for me, it was never the same as before. Up until that time, we (Us on the base) rarely heard any gunfire, and when we did it was off in the distance.

A few days later, the shelling from the Chinese 122mm rockets started. Absolute terror! Out in my man cave, I still have a piece of twisted steel from one of those. The first time I saw it, it was still glowing red hot. Later, I picked it up carried it to the barracks and put it in my locker. Don't know why, but I brought it home. It is rusty now, but I still have it.

If I had run across "Chickie" while I was there, I would not have drunk a beer with him (didn't drink it then and still don't) but I would have enjoyed his visit and made a friend. Great experience and I'm glad he and his friends survived to tell the story...so many didn't.

01-15-2019, 06:52 AM
Good one. Thanks, Jeff.

01-15-2019, 12:39 PM
:) Thanks, Jeff...and to you, too, John, for your recollections in Post #5. 'Glad you are here to recall them! :!!: :cool: BP

01-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Great video. Thank you for posting.

01-19-2019, 08:45 PM
That was WELL worth the 12 minutes. Already forwarded it to a couple of friends!

01-19-2019, 09:39 PM
Great video Jeff! I was an infantryman based in Quang Tri. Every couple of weeks we were relieved for 3 or 4 days and got to rest in the base. Beer was a necessity. I see the video was sponsored by Pabst. The PX in Quang Tri had pallets of Pabst sitting out in the hot sun deteriorating and collapsing. If you wanted a case of Budweiser they required you to buy 2 cases of Pabst for every case of Budweiser. The side of the road from the PX back to my company area was littered with discarded cases of Pabst.

I haven’t thought about that in many years. Thanks for the memory.