PDA

View Full Version : Another Indiana Product- Sprite Caravan Travel Trailers

qsanford
01-08-2019, 08:48 PM
Does anyone have any recollection of Caravan International's short lived venture building Sprite Travel Trailers in Nappanee? They purchased the Covered Wagon/Phoenix Camper operations and began building the Sprites in 1971. My parents bought a brand new 1971 Sprite Musketeer Mark III as a leftover in September of 1972 and it is still around! They bought it in Mendon, Mass. at Mendon Trailer Sales which was a division of Fino Chrysler-Plymouth. I am looking to find a sales brochure for the 1971 Sprite Mark III. When they bought our '71, the 1972 brochure was all they had in the showroom! We had a '67 Dodge Monaco at the time and it didn't even feel the little Sprite when it was towing her!

Bob Bryant
01-08-2019, 10:03 PM
This link might provide a little info. http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=13666.0

Also, you might contact the RV Museum in Elkhart.

8E45E
01-09-2019, 06:53 AM
I had a customer who pulled a 1964 Sprite travel trailer in the summer for many years. It was made in England, and the fit & finish, particularly the interior cabinetry, was excellent for the time. I'm not sure if it was affiliated with the Sprite from Nappanee.

Craig

qsanford
01-09-2019, 08:18 AM
I had a customer who pulled a 1964 Sprite travel trailer in the summer for many years. It was made in England, and the fit & finish, particularly the interior cabinetry, was excellent for the time. I'm not sure if it was affiliated with the Sprite from Nappanee.

Craig

It was the same company. They imported them from England through 1970. The Port of Entry was Baltimore, Maryland. They are a well designed and engineered lightweight travel trailer.

8E45E
01-09-2019, 08:46 AM
Thanks! Here I thought I was going off-topic, but I guess not. :)

I looked at that link in the second post, and the 1964 Sprite I remember was similar size, and painted the same two-tone green colors & white as seen in the first photos in that 'classicwinnibego' thread. However, the 'Sprite' name was much smaller inside a circle; not spelled across the full width in block letters as seen on the 1974 example.

Craig