01-06-2019, 10:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64dfpnhsu1g:eek:

sweetolbob
01-06-2019, 11:47 AM
Apparently GPS is an unknown technology in that part of the world. :woot:

Bob

tsenecal
01-06-2019, 12:27 PM
That was interesting! I wonder what the pay scale is for a job such as that? They make it all look fairly routine, which it must be, to them.

Noxnabaker
01-06-2019, 12:34 PM
GPS? What does that have to do with it? It wouldn't surprise me if they know their possition...

studegary
01-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Apparently GPS is an unknown technology in that part of the world. :woot:

Bob

Bob - We usually agree, but I do not understand why you made this comment. They reached the lighthouse and the lighthouse is not changing location.

sweetolbob
01-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Most lighthouse's today have become tourist attractions because GPS technology is available for better position locating than a light and horn that have limited range and visibility in inclement weather. Just referencing this observation in place of crazy antics to man something that is indicating what is obviously well known on maps and GPS coordinates.

I don't believe there are many lighthouses in this country still manned to provide navigation assistance. Most that still work are automated or tourist attractions.

Bob

sweetolbob
01-06-2019, 01:48 PM
GPS? What does that have to do with it? It wouldn't surprise me if they know their possition...

Yup!! I'll bet they do as does every vessel that ventures into that area with the help of GPS. The GPS's I've seen on Charter Sport Craft in the Great Lakes just notifies the vessel operator where the dangers are and how to avoid them.

Light Houses here have become redundant.

Bob

tim333
01-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Guy jumps off the rope onto the deck like it’s a walk in the park.

Skip Lackie
01-06-2019, 04:32 PM
While many minor lighthouses have been deactivated, all near major ports or navigation hazards remain active, though automated. For example, there are still 55 USCG-maintained lighthouses in Maine alone. The fact that the USCG has transferred the light-keeper's house to private parties doesn't necessarily mean that the govt isn't still maintaining the lights. And despite the reassurances provided by GPS, it's awfully nice being able to see a friendly lighthouse in the distance after being at sea for three weeks.

studegary
01-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Most lighthouse's today have become tourist attractions because GPS technology is available for better position locating than a light and horn that have limited range and visibility in inclement weather. Just referencing this observation in place of crazy antics to man something that is indicating what is obviously well known on maps and GPS coordinates.

Bob

Thanks for the explanation, Bob. It isn't what I thought that you were referring to in your initial post. Now, we agree, as usual.

sweetolbob
01-06-2019, 04:52 PM
While many minor lighthouses have been deactivated, all near major ports or navigation hazards remain active, though automated. For example, there are still 55 USCG-maintained lighthouses in Maine alone. The fact that the USCG has transferred the light-keeper's house to private parties doesn't necessarily mean that the govt isn't still maintaining the lights. And despite the reassurances provided by GPS, it's awfully nice being able to see a friendly lighthouse in the distance after being at sea for three weeks.

Skip as I said in my post, we agree on those functioning are automated. But more than once, coming off the Great Lakes after a fog rolled in on us unexpectedly the GPS got us to where we could see the automated light.

The light did provide the final assurance.:)

Bob