Odd find in the coolant passage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd find in the coolant passage

I've read on the forum where people have found several odd things when cleaning out their coolant passages such as casting wires and such. Thought I would add to the list. Pulled out recently near the rear drain plug on a 51 Champion.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2185.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1759924
    It's roughly 2x2.5"
    Attached Files

The core wire is common, but I wonder what that piece of cloth used to be?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

Somewhere, years ago, there was a guy at the factory saying, "Now where did that rag go? I just had it a minute ago."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

And the rest of the foreman's body parts were never found, just some scraps of material from his overalls.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I found a skeleton of a gecko a few years back in the water manifold of a '63 Lark...

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
            I found a skeleton of a gecko a few years back in the water manifold of a '63 Lark...
            Probably not from the factory.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hard to say what you will find in some motors. I remember one weekend when I was sitting in back of our drag race trailer and the guy next to us started his car and it made a funny whistle sound and all this blue paper was all over the ground. He shut it off right away, gets out of the car and says. What the hell was that. Told him I don't know but when it happened all this paper came out of it. At that point it was, Oh Crap I had a shop rag over the carb. Thing ate it and spit it out the headers.

Comment

The pictured scrap sure looks like a faded red shop towel to me.

Comment

I had a niece start a car and it spit out a CAT....

Comment

This guy found a wedding ring in an Oldsmobile engine.

It's been more than 40 years since Ray Schmuecker saw his wedding ring. It only recently showed up in the most unexpected place, bringing two families together.
                    Mark L

Comment

can't say much, once lost mine inside a CV joint boot. The grease just slid it off. and it was never found.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                        I had a niece start a car and it spit out a CAT....
                        That must have been a very large diameter tailpipe!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

We had a few cats get spit out when we started the car, but it was by way of the fan blade. In the winter, they would "nest" up on top of the engine to warm up. When the car started, they would jump for the opening, and get caught up in the fan blade. Not a real pretty sight.
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

My theory is that someone ground the valve seats with the engine in the vehicle, and plugged all the openings with shop rags to keep the grit and debris out. This was common practice with valve in block engines. A portion of shop rag was missed in a coolant
                            passage during the buttoning up.

JT

Comment

I once had a kitten climb (unknown to me) into the engine compartment of my '66 Commander one cold January. I drove the five miles home and shut the engine off. I heard a meowing and found the kitten clinging to the heater hose that was attached to the right, inner fender apron. On then to the SPCA.
                              -Dwight

Comment

Working...
                              X