PDA

View Full Version : Cash not accepted

bumpkinvilledano
12-31-2018, 04:00 AM
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-29/your-cash-not-welcome-more-retailers-banning-paper-money

As I travel a lot for my work, I often pay with a card. I do however carry cash, as it's welcome everywhere. Or so I thought.

Chris Pile
12-31-2018, 05:31 AM
Yup. Bought some office chairs awhile back.... They didn't take cash, or so they said. They wanted credit card only - I haven't had one for years. I offered my debit card... No deal. Personal check? No deal. When I headed for the door, the sales staff suddenly pooled the contents of their wallets and purses and made change for my stack of hundred dollar bills.... I don't know how they worked it out on their books, and I don't care....

My chairs are very comfortable, sitting on one right now.

JLB
12-31-2018, 05:48 AM
Here in Kentucky, we still have some restaurants that are just the opposite............. cash only. I was in one last week here in Louisville........still cash only.

jclary
12-31-2018, 06:03 AM
Well...it looks like I might have been born during the right time after all. Perhaps by the time I finally pass away, rather than waste precious topsoil, I'll just be buried under a pile of worthless cash.:rolleyes: Even today, I often stand in a checkout line as people swipe cards (when only buying a candy bar) and poke around on a tiny computer screen with a stylus.:confused: I find myself jokingly asking the cashier if they accept cash?;) So, I suppose it is becoming less and less of a joke.:(

Besides having to keep up with actual money...with the quality of lots of retail employees I've seen lately, many seem ignorant of their products, uninterested in their job, and lack the intellectual ability to make change. Furthermore, a business that doesn't allow its employees to accept cash gives me the impression that the employer does not trust his workers.:(

I'll know time has truly passed me by when I turn on the TV to watch a football game and find the start of the game delayed while the announcer asks if there's anyone in the stadium who has a quarter so they can have a coin toss to start the game???:oops::rolleyes:

DieselJim
12-31-2018, 06:34 AM
When I was in the 4th grade, around '51, teacher commented " some day you will not need to carry money. You can buy anything with a plastic card". I thought, now that is dumb.

8E45E
12-31-2018, 06:46 AM
Furthermore, a business that doesn't allow its employees to accept cash gives me the impression that the employer does not trust his workers.

Transit systems went 'Exact Change Only' for bus fare years ago for that reason.

One would think the guv'ment would love cashless transactions, especially in restaurants and bars, as it creates a paper trail, and eliminate tax evasion.

Craig

sweetolbob
12-31-2018, 07:54 AM
I hand them cash they give me the goods and I leave. I hand them plastic and I get credits to my accounts in dollars I can spend elsewhere. Bought a new bed last month, put it on my Amazon Prime card. Got a set of Bosch Icon wipers Saturday from Amazon for my Ram Pickup. No cost, used my credit from the bed.

I know those costs are built into the price but they are paid whether I use cash or my card. If I can save money by handing them cash I will but plastic let's me carry a minimum of cash and if the cards lost or stolen and used -no cost to me. Cash is gone if I lose my wallet or drop a bill inadvertently, they'll replace the card at no charge.

Many services will also give a discount or an up front credit if I use the card for automatic payment.

Why do I want to use cash when the card is cheaper.

Yup! It's paid off every month and not by cash.

Let me go on - If I pay medical expenses or other payments, at the end of the year I have a nice printout from the credit card company with my payments categorized and I can easily use them when calculating my taxes.

Bob

t walgamuth
12-31-2018, 10:46 AM
I use cards for almost everything. I'll get 300 cash and walk around with it for a month or more sometimes before I need to get cash again.

When we use the plastic its free right?;)

Noxnabaker
12-31-2018, 11:43 AM
In Sweden & Holland they're lobying to stop cash money, & this summer going that direction south I was in a German shop to buy spare parts for my Citroen AMI6/daily driver & there was a Swedish woman servicing me(!) & we came to talk & I mentioned the plastic card fanatics in Sweden & Holland & she said "That would never happen here in Germany" & that got me thinking...
They still use the 1€ cents in Germany (& I think in France too), I think Holland stopped that in 2003, & it shows how strong Germany are & got me thinking "Maby I should move to Germany".
I get quite irritated by this stop-cash thing, to me cash money is honest because I can se it! & in most European towns these days you can't even park your car without having a bank card; your coins do NOT fit in the machines!
So why is this going on? Because if people don't have money in their hands it's easy to use to much = borrow from the bank & being in dept!
& yes; there's many shops in Sweden that only exept cards.
:mad:

ddub
12-31-2018, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=jclary;1140394]Well...it looks like I might have been born during the right time after all. Perhaps by the time I finally pass away, rather than waste precious topsoil, I'll just be buried under a pile of worthless cash.:rolleyes:

Digression: I heard a story on the news today that having your body composted into top soil is now an option to being buried or cremated.

RadioRoy
12-31-2018, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=jclary;1140394]Well...it looks like I might have been born during the right time after all. Perhaps by the time I finally pass away, rather than waste precious topsoil, I'll just be buried under a pile of worthless cash.:rolleyes:

Digression: I heard a story on the news today that having your body composted into top soil is now an option to being buried or cremated.

Or Soylent green?

firestoper 25
12-31-2018, 06:20 PM
Oh boy......I wonder how many are going to get that one! That flick was on last week and it is STILL a fine yarn. Ed Robinson's last roll. Sherm / Green Bay