PDA

View Full Version : Why I never drag raced on the street

Hawklover
12-29-2018, 11:18 AM
Back when I lived in Miami in 1967 I would bring the Avanti to the service end of Studebaker Miami which was taken over by two very talented mechanics..they called themselves Trojan Service center.

Anyway on one occasion I brought the car down to have something done and I saw piled up in the corner of his parking lot what remained of a 63 Avanti.....the owner had been drag racing his brother-in-law who was in a new Vette......they were racing down Red Road, which back then was totally wide open with very little traffic. The guy in the Avanti lost control of the car and Miami-Dade police estimated he hit a Southern Bell Telephone pole doing in excess of 100 mph...........all that was left was a totally twisted frame, and what looked like a thousand pieces of fiberglass...the interior seats were covered with dried blood.

As can be expected the guy died instantly...............that got me sick to my stomach........the guy in the Vette had to live with that event for the rest of his life:-(

And that gents, is why I never drag raced on streets.

Noxnabaker
12-29-2018, 12:53 PM
When I used to do it in Stockholm 1978-83 it was always crowded but never a single axident what I saw but we had a "club" thing & you had to have certain stuff for safety, such as a ring around the driveshaft, fire extinguisher, 4-point safety belt & such. Never even saw any car going of the road.

Lou Van Anne
12-29-2018, 01:06 PM
I had a 100 mph+ ride on Hwy 17 thru San Jose in a friends Vette one night.....never again!

Buzzard
12-29-2018, 01:30 PM
I think we were all young, stupid and invincible. Now we survivors are hopefully older and much wiser and realize we are also expendable.
Happy New Year to All.
Bill

skyway
12-29-2018, 02:00 PM
Worst/Amazing wreckage I ever saw was a brand new 1969? Gran Pride that had gone sideways and roof first into one
Of those V-shaped pipe legged Burger Chef signs. Roof crushed almost to the rockers, and resting on its rockers with both front & tear tires off the ground. Really bad!

DieselJim
12-29-2018, 03:54 PM
My side kick growing up hit a big oak tree in his 57 Olds. Put the right front fender in the left rear seat. Engine and transmission went 40 feet. House 1/2 block away had windshield glass stuck in the siding. Speedo needle was pointing at 100 mph. Lost my friend that night back in '63.

Colgate Studebaker
12-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Stupidly, I've been to 162 on the streets of San Diego back in '68, as a passenger in a '67 Vette built for the dragstrip. It was a "test ride" after the guy that owned it did some "tuning". That was the last time I was involved in any type of street racing. Scared the s*** out of me. Bill

sweetolbob
12-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Stupidly, I've been to 162 on the streets of San Diego back in '68, as a passenger in a '67 Vette built for the dragstrip. It was a "test ride" after the guy that owned it did some "tuning". That was the last time I was involved in any type of street racing. Scared the s*** out of me. Bill

Anytime I'm in the passenger seat during something like this I'm uncomfortable so I only did it twice in my youth. Once on a newly opened expressway in a 62 'vette flat out about 130 and second getting our arse kicked in another 62 'vette by a 61 409 Impala. Never found out what was in that 409 but it wasn't stock. Actually both drivers were fairly responsible if that term applies to these situations.

I've never been a top end guy, I just like getting up to speed d@mn quick!;)

Bob

studegary
12-30-2018, 10:32 AM
When I was younger (pre 65 years old), I drove (mostly) and rode in many cars well in excess of 100 MPH. Nearly every time, it was in the night on a deserted stretch of highway (one in particular was several miles long with no intersecting streets/roads). You can't do that in most modern cars because the fuel is cut off at some predetermined speed, like 114 mph.

EDIT: I will say that this was never drag racing, the subject of this thread. It was always "just" high speed runs for short distances.

Noxnabaker
12-30-2018, 11:55 AM
As Buzzard wrote; we're more carefull these days, my max speed since the mid 90's is 160km/h & only when I'm alone in the car, otherwise & mostly it's 120-140.
This does not include short drags thou.

Jerry Forrester
12-30-2018, 12:43 PM
All you guys that got the s#@t scared out of, it sounds like you were riding with me. I was wild as a buck before I joined the Corps. I think my tour in Southeast Asia calmed me down a lot. I was much more sensitive to my mortality after that.

tomnoller
12-30-2018, 03:32 PM
There are some heartbreaking compilation videos on YouTube on just the subject.

j.byrd
12-30-2018, 03:59 PM
Guess I was a bit of a racer in my younger days...until my only cars became a 34 horsepower Mini and a 55 Studebaker with the DG 250 Slow-a-Matic. I was lucky, no crashes, only one ticket (unknowingly raced a policeman one night), and never grounded before moving out as a still immature adult, ha !. I still love to race, my wife and I have raced everything we owned (bikes, cars, and trucks) until moving here in Hawaii. Lots of street races, also a lot of legal at the drag strips races. I always kept at least one car as a clunky, sometimes rusty, unfinished "junker-looking" thing with enough engine to keep me out front. Those kind of sleepers really disturb the "fast, fancy car" guys. Loved those days, don't recommend it, but that's what we were in TN, AL, and Texas back then. My last race on a drag strip was in 2006 with a quite over-powered, hopped up F-350 diesel 4 door with a Tommy-Lift. The starter would ask me to put the tailgate down and turn on the cab lights..he said it helped p # # s off the hot shots that thought they was just racing an old farm truck, ha ! Sure miss drag racing, but now I can pretend on my 50 cc motor scooter and no one knows I'm racing them...it is SLOW !.

Bud
12-30-2018, 04:08 PM
I've gotten smarter with old age, but I remember driving a friends 1970 Hemi Cuda with a 4 speed racing against a 427 435 HP Vette one night in 1970 where I saw 130 on the speedo of the Cuda. This was on an uncrowded LA street late at night. I don't remember ever losing a race while piloting the Cuda. Those were the bad old days never to be repeated. Bud

Packard53
12-30-2018, 05:05 PM
I did my share of street racing when I was young ie red light to red light. I did how ever did get clocked doing a 102 mph in 65 mph posted speed zone by the Penna. State Police back in 1972. The state revoked my driving privileges for four months. The car I had at that time was a 1966 Chevy Caprice with a 396 cid engine rated at 325 hp that car was a sleeper and was a good runner for top speed on the open road. My 1966 Chevy Chevelle that I own is equipped with a 230 six cylinder I had to up a to 85 mph one time on the open high way few years ago. At that speed she plain ran out of steam and didn't have the nerve to try pushing her any more. I have had my Corvette up to 100 mph one time recently but old age has taken my courage away to go faster than that.

John S.

Michidan
12-31-2018, 08:44 AM
I guess I was very lucky to have a dad who was into sanctioned drag racing, and to also have a nice 1/4 mile track in the area. As a youngster I had a pretty decent 66 nova with a built small block and a 4 speed. I'll admit to leaving some black tire marks here and there but street race? What's the point?
Was never interested in anybodys car BS. You want to run? ... well lets go to the track this Friday. Entry was cheap! Why not just go to the place where you can do it legally - they even give you a nice piece of paper with your stats at the far end.

Sorry this topic just grinds me. Maybe a few more old drag strips would still be around if we had used them a little more. Then I see some shows on TV where they just talk crap and start races with a flashlight. Idiots.

daytonadave
01-01-2019, 07:21 PM
The only wreck I've had was in 1965 driving a 1955 President Speedster in high school. Lost control at 85mph on a deeply sanded road. But did not stop my speeding. I've got a 2012 ZX14r Ninja in the garage that I've had to 150mph and it is pulling hard. It is docile or a demon depending on my right hand.

Hawklover
01-01-2019, 10:00 PM
Semper Fi Jarhead!!!
All you guys that got the s#@t scared out of, it sounds like you were riding with me. I was wild as a buck before I joined the Corps. I think my tour in Southeast Asia calmed me down a lot. I was much more sensitive to my mortality after that.

Hawklover
01-01-2019, 10:06 PM
My older brother used to race in the NYC area in the early 1960's....one place was the 'connecting highways" in Queens......he had a very large set of B..S......his motto was if I race it's for "reggies"....that statement separated the men from the boys.
I guess I was very lucky to have a dad who was into sanctioned drag racing, and to also have a nice 1/4 mile track in the area. As a youngster I had a pretty decent 66 nova with a built small block and a 4 speed. I'll admit to leaving some black tire marks here and there but street race? What's the point?
Was never interested in anybodys car BS. You want to run? ... well lets go to the track this Friday. Entry was cheap! Why not just go to the place where you can do it legally - they even give you a nice piece of paper with your stats at the far end.

Sorry this topic just grinds me. Maybe a few more old drag strips would still be around if we had used them a little more. Then I see some shows on TV where they just talk crap and start races with a flashlight. Idiots.

JRoberts
01-01-2019, 11:37 PM
The kind of cars I had in high school and college prevented a lot of high speed competition. I mean how fast can a well worn '61 six cylinder Falcon go? Then came college an used Opel station wagon that died three days after I bought, a '66 Opel Kadett. Even an Elva Courier and a Sprite couldn't get you in too much trouble. All this doesn't mean I didn't try to be faster than somebody somewhere. I did find that an Elva Courier could out run a six cylinder first generation Mustang. :lol:

As far as serious street racing goes what really scares me is the amount of guys who race their motorcycles in a big way, meaning 100 miles per hour plus. That's instant death......

Noxnabaker
01-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Yeah, bikes are seriously dangerous stuff! I've had crashes from bicycle via moped to car but even thou I've had a few bikes I never had a crash with any of them, & I didn't ride 'em slow either, just carefull I guess... Heard all the stories my parents used to tell when I was a kid & I just couldn't wait to scrape the mufflers in the corners. Oh, sweet memories! & lucky ones too.

JRoberts
01-02-2019, 09:28 PM
Lucky is right! This was especially true when my Dad let me use his new '66 Dodge Charger (383cu.in.) from time to time. I did some dangerous stuff with that car that led to some very close calls.....