Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our local Sears to close in March

Good afternoon,

The local Sears store at the Gateway Mall in Lincoln, NE has been added to the latest list of Sears and Kmart stores to close, not that I am surprised. I figured that the whole chain would be closed down after another subpar holiday season but the company's desire to stretch out the inevitable....

I have thought about all the things that I have bought at that store: Tools, clothes, paint, appliances etc. I attended the grand opening back in the early 1970's back when a store open was a big deal, sometime during the closing sale I'll stop by, maybe buy a screwdriver or two and remember when the store had a candy counter selling penny candy and when over many years I bought Christmas gifts when Sears had the Big Toy Box on the first floor.

Sure, this all nostalgia on my part, I once shopped at Grants, Woolworths/Woolco, Wards and others. I had an indestructable Schwinn from Chicago too.

It still is a shame that Sears had to fail.

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Sears is trying to live up to the name of its batteries...Die Hard!
    I guess all good things come to an end sooner or later. Today, Amazon is the popular place to shop, but a day will come when they go out of business too.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Same here in Wichita.... We had multiple Kmarts through the years.... all gone. The westside Sears closed a couple years ago (along with the auto repair shop). Now the last Sears and Sears Auto will close, which is no big loss. The Sears has been a dirty, empty shell for a long time - no staff, no merch... just a ghost town.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Reports I heard were that If Sears didn't have a bid from anyone to take them over completely by 4:00PM yesterday they were history.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          Reports I heard were that If Sears didn't have a bid from anyone to take them over completely by 4:00PM yesterday they were history.
          Sometime in the last few hours, while I was multi-tasking (more like goofing off), I think I heard on the news that the chairman of Sears Holding, Eddie Lampert, has made a last minute offer to keep them afloat. Unless I am confusing him with someone else, he's probably the manager who is as responsible for the decline as any other individual involved with the K-Mart/Sears flop. Makes me wonder if it wasn't his goal to run it down just to collect the bones and gain complete control all along. I have seen this before where a company is driven into bankruptcy and some individuals position themselves to make great financial gain through the process as they stiff creditors and escape their obligations to employees and pensioners.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

On the NBC national news last night there was mention that someone had made a last ditch offer, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to get who it was and what the offer was. We should hear more tonight. Bill

Comment

Some hedge fund made a bid for it...

The latest Speed Read,/speed-reads,,speed-reads, breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at The Week
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                Some hedge fund made a bid for it...

https://theweek.com/speedreads/81499...quidation--now
                The "some hedge fund" is ESL Investments. That ESL is Eddie Lampert, the Chairman of Sears that most feel ran Sears into its current state of affairs.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

They are closing the Sears in the Mall of America too.

Back in the 80's the midwest headquarters was located in Minneapolis on Lake & Chicago. They had a monstrous warehouse. In the lobby there were huge aerial photos of the place when it opened sometime in the 20's with lots of old (new then) cars in the parking lot. I used to spend a couple minutes looking at them every time I went in there. One time I went in and the pictures were gone. The next day they announced they were closing that location. It's now the Global Midtown Market and it's just as much fun as the old Sears was. I'm sorry to see them go but as they say, "A smooth player moves with the times or moves on."

Comment

From the list I could find, appears the nearest closing to me is a Kmart in Grand Forks, ND. The Sears that was in the local mall in Fargo closed a while back and there is only a Kmart. They converted part of that store to sell Sears appliances and mattresses last year.

My sister's FIL was owner of a Sears catalog store in a small rural town in MN. He got squeezed out in the late 90s and ended up moving and restarting his career, eventually retiring as a car salesman.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Noticed last week that the local K Mart had a big "Store Closing" sign hanging on it. Not really a surprise with 2 Super Wal Marts within a 5 mile radius. Sears closed the outlet they had in town a couple years ago.
                      Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

In the last year or so,our mall has lost Sears, Bergners, and JC Penneys.[And, some smaller stores] At one time, it was hard to find a parking spot in the mall, now it looks like a ghost town.
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                        X