No announcement yet.

Where to mount seat belts in 59 Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Where to mount seat belts in 59 Lark?

Hi, I have a 59 Lark 2d Hardtop, and want to add lap belts: as the first owner didnt want to pay extra for them originally- so it doesnt have them. My question is: where do I mount them? For the front seats, I can mount them to the bolts for the bench seat- but where do I mount them for the middle point between the driver and passenger?
    I also havent started figuring out where to mount any of them for the back seats: so any suggestions for those would be appreciated as well.

Since its a hardtop, I dont have an option to mount 3-points.

Thanks in advance.

Front and Rear Seat Belts mount per the enclosed instructions Always BEHIND the Seat, never forward of the rear edge of the cushions and never to the seat bolts.
    They come with large Bolts much larger than a little 5/16 seat mounting screw.

They mount to the Floor with Large reinforcing Washers and only to Solid Metal, thin or rusted metal must be replaced.

Studebakers were one of the first to reinforce the floor and include threaded Nutplates for Belts on all of their Cars in 1962 and make the actual BELTS Standard in 1963, before the DOT requirement in 1964.

The original owner of your '59 Lark did not have Seat Belts as an standard option when ordering a Car.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes; if you know anyone with a '62 or later Lark, even if it never was equipped with seat belts, you will be able to see the factory attachment plates. Look under the floor just behind the front seats and inside the rear wheel well for the rear belts. New kits come with large washers to act as anchor plates but, as Rich said, make certain the surrounding sheet metal is still solid or replaced.

Maybe someone with a Lark can take a picture or two and post them here to help. I haven't had any for more than a decade.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

For the front seats, the belts should drop as close to vertically as possible from the back of the seat to the floor when the seat is in the fully rearward position.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks everyone- so for the front seats, it sounds like I need to:

1) confirm the sheet metal is solid
          2) put the front seat all the way back
          3) drill holes for the bolts straight down from that seat position
          4) install plates/oversize washers and bolt the seatbelts down

For the inside bolt locations, Im assuming I should just get as close as possible to the driveshaft hump as I can

Let me now if Im missing anything

Thanks
          Craig

Comment

Photo from the installation instructions on installing belts in Larks prior to '62...

Comment

If you use those instructions, be sure to use a drill stop. Do not hit the driveshaft. Also, be sure the bolts are not too long. You want plenty of clearance between anything and a driveshaft.

I do not agree with the instructions. When I did mine, I put them on the flat, not on the tunnel.

Comment

As (S) says, do not put the inner mounts on the driveshaft tunnel, even though the Studebaker document says to. I very much agree with the above thoughts - find someone with a 1962 and later Lark and replicate those locations.

Comment

I agree with the last 2 post regarding the inner mounting; on the flat part of the floor. I also sat in the seat and "wore" the belt to see how wide it needs to be (I'm kinda skinny so no bigee). Used the same measurements on the passenger side too.

Comment

These are a great help, thanks everyone. Ill mount them to the flat part, not the driveshaft tunnel. Those instructions help immensely, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                      When I did mine, I put them on the flat, not on the tunnel.
                      That's what I did also.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Installing the inner anchors on the flat surface will also allow space for adding a center set if you desire.

And, I suspect it's always best to state the obvious, your large washers will go on the exterior of the floor. Some people have even made larger plates from 1/16" steel.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks everyone, seatbelts installed on the flat part of the floor, no issues. and large washers also installed on the exterior. All set!

Comment

Working...
                          X