"Ask the man who owns an Avanti R-3"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ask the man who owns an Avanti R-3"

We hear from the man who bought Avanti R-1025, the R-3 that was Andy Granatelli's "driver".

There is also a fun story of how as a young man just of driving age, "Pastor Ken" got to drive a new Commander V-8 off the final assembly line at South Bend.
    Attached Files

More on Ran Crall's Avanti here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...vanti-63R-1025!

Craig

Comment

Super! Thank you for this!
      Merry Christmas!

Comment

Where are these 2 R-3 Avanti's today?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	old pics scanned april 23 2016 010_LI.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1724763

Comment

I think Ed Wenger is still with us and a Forum Member! I'll bet he is wishing he had kept that rare Gem.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I think Ed Wenger is still with us and a Forum Member! I'll bet he is wishing he had kept that rare Gem.

• R3 R-3060
              - Jim Rohanna, Gettysburg, PA
              Former Owners/Locales;
              Rich Honafous Info
              Richard Honafous, Severna Park, MD - AOAI 1995 - 1996 -
              • (replaced with SBC Engine/trans - Ebay Sale, August 2004 - Hadenfield, NJ

327 SBC, down on her heels
            Bob Langer
            Glenshaw,PA

Comment

In the summer of 1965, I paid a visited to Vincent Granatelli, Andys son . He had single bay that he was renting in a gas station close to Paxton in Santa Monica. At the time he was doing engine swaps offering R3 and R4 engines and other performance upgrades. He had a 63 Turquoise R3, auto trans car that I test drove that was fitted with chrome slotted Appliance wheels. I am now curious if this was R1025.

Bob Caser
              mrbobinc

Comment

R1025

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                In the summer of 1965, I paid a visited to Vincent Granatelli, Andys son . He had single bay that he was renting in a gas station close to Paxton in Santa Monica. At the time he was doing engine swaps offering R3 and R4 engines and other performance upgrades. He had a 63 Turquoise R3, auto trans car that I test drove that was fitted with chrome slotted Appliance wheels. I am now curious if this was R1025.

Bob Caser
                Bob, R1025 was Turquoise/Turquoise auto trans. It had Paxton installed gauges for blower and fuel pressure installed under the radio and a factory AM/FM radio. The supercharger was black instead of orange. Bill Alderman installed Keystone Klassic wheels, not sure what he replaced, however I got factory hubcaps with the car so I assumed stock wheels were replaced.
                Does that information help you?

Comment

Gauges installed in R1025Click image for larger version

Name:	Gagues.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1725519
                  Last edited by rcrall; 02-27-2019, 08:45 AM. Reason: add picture

Comment

Thank you for your response, I believe that the car I drove that day was probably your car R1025.
                    Bob Caser
                    mrbobinc

Comment

R1025

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                      Thank you for your response, I believe that the car I drove that day was probably your car R1025.
                      Bob Caser
                      Don't know if you are a member of AOAI but there is a nice 4 page article about R1025 in the current issue of their magazine.

Comment

I am not a member at this time and I have been in the past, I will renew this week . Thank you for the heads up regarding the article on R 1025. The same day that I saw R1025 , I took the attached photo of the Due Cento car sitting behind Paxton Building in Santa Monica.

Bob CaserClick image for larger version

Name:	Due Cento.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1725548
                        Attached Files
                        mrbobinc

Comment

Working...
                        X