Bosozuko & Shakotan Cars in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosozuko & Shakotan Cars in Japan

Is anyone here familiar with the Bosozuko cars in Japan? I love em. They are like cartoon versions of cars that are driven and shown. They are slow to come to America, but don't be suprised if you start seeing them at car shows across the country.
    BTW, there is Studebaker content here. It's coming soon. I wanna see some reactions first. Let the comments fly ! ! ! I can take it ! ! ! I think...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4492.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1759877

And then there are the Shakotan Style cals also... They are a little more civil, I suppose...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4493.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1759878Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4494.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1759879
    And Studebaker content coming for these also... Stay tuned.
    Last edited by sals54; 12-24-2018, 04:24 PM.
    sals54

Wow... no takers on the comments. Well. Here are a couple of pictures my son had done for me. These, sadly, are not real cars, but images done my a graphic artist. Its funny cuz when my son told him that he wanted our Studebaker done in Bosozuko style, the artist said he'd never seen a car like a 54 Studebaker before. But that he loved the design and style of the car. Here are the designs:

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9d6f.jpg
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1724752
    This one is Bosozuko. Pretty wild, eh? Just like a cartoon on crack.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9d71.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1724753
    And this is the Shakotan. I actually love this style. Thinking VERY seriously of doing something like this. Very cool.
    sals54

Comment

I have been aware of these Japanese auto styles for quite some time. I find it as alien and odd as most Japanese pop culture (anime, manga, etc.). My initial response years ago was one of uproarious laughter and derision. My attitude hasn't changed much.

About the only pop culture from Japan that appeals to me is their music groups - especially some of the ladies, who are quite good.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Ahh, c'mon... the Shakotan style is pretty awesome. I couldn't bring myself to do the Bosozuko to my car, but the Shakotan is really in the running for a go-round.
        Maybe a beat up 65 Cruiser could be sacrificed in the Bosozuko Style with some real flair and exposure for the Studebaker brand????
        sals54

Comment

The black version looks very nice Sal.
          i think you could achieve it with little effort .
          pb

Comment

I've had a few boso' Pics on my Flickr site for a few years .
            They get some look at's regularly . Different strokes for different folks , as the song goes.....

bosozoku_44 by Bill H, on Flickr

bosozoku_43 by Bill H, on Flickr

bosozoku_19 by Bill H, on Flickr

bosozoku_5 by Bill H, on Flickr
            Bill H
            Daytona Beach
            SDC member since 1970
            Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Yeah. There ya go... They are off the charts outrageous. But here are some young kids with terrific enthusiasm for cars. This is why I love hangin out with the younger crowd.
              When an older guy like me walks up on one of their cars, first reaction is skepticism. But you should see their eyes light up when you offer admiration for the work and ask questions about the build. It’s an instant car guy connection.
              sals54

Comment

I agree with you, Sal, the Shakotan isn't bad at all. I would love to see that black one come to life. Gotta love the imagination in them all!
                Last edited by StudeNewby; 12-25-2018, 07:15 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I reckon 65-66 Studebaker sure could benifit from this, earlier not as much, maby a G.T.Hawk, I find it a square-car-thing.
                  & the vans sure are helped by it!

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77775[/ATTACH]
                    And this is the Shakotan. I actually love this style. Thinking VERY seriously of doing something like this. Very cool.
                    I think it wouldn't be all that hard just slice the B-pillar out of yours and and semi-gloss paint. Well maybe wider wheels. You were way ahead of your time. Bob

Comment

The bozozuko? I would classify them as "art" cars, for some values of the term "art". I would regard doing that to a Studebaker as vandalism, myself.

Shakotan is just boy-racer stuff, or just a facet of hot-rodding or customizing. Sal's drawing of a shakotan hardtop isn't too bad at all.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Interesting stuff, but not for me.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Now I understand how the new Japanese styled cars look the way they do. The Toyota Murei (however it is spelled- it's the hydrogen fueled car) is pretty butt ugly, IMO.

The good looking Japanese cars are generally styled in Los Angeles.
                          Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-28-2018, 11:05 AM.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I think these styles go better with a C-K car rather than the later "square" styles. I like both of the examples that Sals posted.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Hmmm... I'll be in Tokyo in April. I will keep my eyes open. Chris: I am a huge GS (Group Sounds) fan. I've seen several of the all-girl bands including the 5,6,7,8s and Shonen Knife. I'm fascinated by the Japanese take on American culture.

Comment

Working...
                              X