PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new hand for Christmas

tsenecal
12-24-2018, 10:49 AM
Merry Christmas! to all of you. I am typing with my south paw, as my right hand is bandaged, and unusable, for a bit. I injured my right ring finger a couple of years ago, and it didn't heal correctly, leaving the joint with little mobility, and crooked off to one side. Originally, I had planned to have it taken off at the knuckle, but the surgeon convinced me to have the entire finger taken out of the hand, leaving three good fingers, side by side. This will hopefully, return nearly full function, and strength, as I am still working full time. I had the surgery done on the 13th, and so far it seems to be healing well, and I am able to flex all three fingers, as they protrude from the dressing. I get to open the 'package', on the 26th, when I see the doctor, to get the stitches removed. It all seems to be going well, and I hope to return to work on the 14th of January. I have many projects that I'd like to work on while I'm off work, but most of them require two hands, so I do what I can with one, and enjoy the time off. Hope you all had a good year, and best wishes for the New Year.

Colgate Studebaker
12-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Tom, several years back I worked part time with a guy that had basically the same thing done on his right hand. Long story short, it made a huge difference in the usability of his hand and he was very pleased with the outcome. Best of luck to you and have a nice holiday. Bill

tsenecal
12-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Bill. i'm looking forward to the outcome, and at this point, I am confident that it will be an improvement. I had worked with a man that was injured in Iraq, by shrapnel, that was missing a finger. His worked very well, and you could barely notice it was missing. His example made the decision easier for me to make.

55coupe
12-24-2018, 03:17 PM
Good luck to you.

Buzzard
12-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Tom,
Great wishes for every success for your hand. I'm sure it will work out well.
As an aside, one of my Golden Retrievers is left handed so he too is a south paw!
Merry Christmas
Bill

tsenecal
12-25-2018, 09:39 PM
Thanks Bill. I'm heading to Salt Lake City tomorrow, for the post-op, and have the stitches removed. It feels good, and already have pretty good mobility, so I believe it will all work out fine.

RadioRoy
01-05-2019, 03:10 PM
How is it healing now? Hopefully very well.