PDA

View Full Version : A Reminder: You Can Run - But You Can't Hide

Buzzard
12-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Ever wonder how they found the Boston bombers in just a few days? This may help you to understand what the government is looking at. This photo was taken in Canada and shows about 700,000 people.

Hard to disappear in a crowd. Pick on a small part of the crowd click a couple of times -- wait -- click a few more times and see how clear each

individual face will become each time. Or use the wheel on your mouse.

This picture was taken with a 70,000 x 30,000 pixel camera (2100 Mega Pixels.) These cameras are not sold to the public and are being installed in strategic locations.

The camera can identify a face among a multitude of people.

Place your computer's cursor in the mass of people and double-click a couple times.

Scary sharp!! Not so easy to hide in a crowd anymore.

Ever wonder how they found the Boston bombers in just a few days? This may help you to understand what the government is looking at. This photo was taken in Canada and shows about 700,000 people.

Hard to disappear in a crowd. Pick on a small part of the crowd click a couple of times -- wait -- click a few more times and see how clear each

individual face will become each time. Or use the wheel on your mouse.

This picture was taken with a 70,000 x 30,000 pixel camera (2100 Mega Pixels.) These cameras are not sold to the public and are being installed in strategic locations.

The camera can identify a face among a multitude of people.

Place your computer's cursor in the mass of people and double-click a couple times.

Scary sharp!! Not so easy to hide in a crowd anymore.

http://www.gigapixel.com/mobile/?id=79995:eek:

DEEPNHOCK
12-20-2018, 12:06 PM
And note that this was over seven years ago.......

wittsend
12-20-2018, 12:32 PM
And yet Fastrak six times mistook the "E" in someone else's license plate for the "F" in my wife's. After having to spend an hour each time providing them with documentation I just gave up and paid the $23 for new plates. So much for resolution.

I'm sure the spy planes of old had a large image film (translates to mega pixels today). So, while this caliber of photography is nothing new, doing it electronically and with facial recognition is a game changer. And all well and good for catching criminal activity but if/when it comes to some lesser choice in life that others don't support..., maybe not so good. BTW, no intentions of taking this to the conspiracy theory level. Just pointing out there are two sides to this type of technology.

t walgamuth
12-20-2018, 04:15 PM
yes, good point!

Greenstude
12-20-2018, 05:11 PM
And yet Fastrak six times mistook the "E" in someone else's license plate for the "F" in my wife's. After having to spend an hour each time providing them with documentation I just gave up and paid the $23 for new plates. So much for resolution.

I'm sure the spy planes of old had a large image film (translates to mega pixels today). So, while this caliber of photography is nothing new, doing it electronically and with facial recognition is a game changer. And all well and good for catching criminal activity but if/when it comes to some lesser choice in life that others don't support..., maybe not so good. BTW, no intentions of taking this to the conspiracy theory level. Just pointing out there are two sides to this type of technology.

I'll bet the person with the "E" license plate has a license plate frame covering the bottom stroke of the letter. We had exactly that happen with one of my employer's trucks. After our company was notified of an unpaid fine in a city where our truck had never been, I was able to speak with the policeman who wrote the ticket. He clearly remembered writing the ticket on the dangerously-parked vehicle, and remembered it having a license frame with a dealer's name on it. The ticket was cancelled immediately, and an apology given.

wittsend
12-21-2018, 04:34 PM
I'll bet the person with the "E" license plate has a license plate frame covering the bottom stroke of the letter. We had exactly that happen with one of my employer's trucks. After our company was notified of an unpaid fine in a city where our truck had never been, I was able to speak with the policeman who wrote the ticket. He clearly remembered writing the ticket on the dangerously-parked vehicle, and remembered it having a license frame with a dealer's name on it. The ticket was cancelled immediately, and an apology given.

That is EXACTLY what happened. Unfortunately when dealing with Fastrak you are dealing with a company hired by a government agency. My brother sent me an article written by a news correspondent who had the same thing happen. He was ASSURED that anytime his number came up it would be scrutinized by a person instead of a computer. After my first incident I also requested such yet over the next three years got five additional notices. So, either they lie or they hire the lamest people.

As I said it took about an hour each time to gather the photos, write a response, fill out their form, package and mail it. After the sixth time I was done. I had to spend an additional 2+ hours at the DMV and $23 to replace the plates. And..., you get no plate choice. Turns out my area all start with an “E.” OK, not as bad as an “F” that when covered on the lower portion of an “E” looks like an “F.” However, the woman that waited on me at the DMV said her husband had the same problem. And he did have an “E.” Her thinking is the camera caught a violator, and in this (reverse case) the car caught had the “F” but denied being there. So, they go after the next likely target..., anyone with an “E” regardless that it doesn't look like an “F.” It is all about the MONEY!

BTW, the violator was 400 miles away (California Bay Area) in almost every incident and had a San Francisco plate frame (that obscured the lower part of his "E"). His vehicles was a Toyota SUV and his registration tag was July. My car was a Honda Civic sedan and had an April registration tag. So, yea, where is their "human intervention" to see those blatant differences?

jnormanh
12-23-2018, 09:00 AM
OMG.

Back, way, way, way back in the day when I knew something about photography, I shot lots of Kodak Tri-X. We thought that was mighty fine stuff.

I feel like a Cheyenne warrior, riding the fastest stallion, and shooting the finest bow, facing an Abrams M1.

Gunslinger
12-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Tri-X was the world standard for b/w photography...very forgiving and easy processing. Kodachrome 64 was the ne plus ultra of color photography. Too bad it took special processing. Ektachrome was excellent in its own right but didn't have the depth and resolution of Kodachrome...but you could push Ektachrome to far faster speeds than Kodachrome.