• Show
Clear All

• Progress on the Commander

Click image for larger version

Name:	D58E5C71-9971-4923-A46B-7FB15E5ED96B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1759851
    I’ve been working on this car for a year and a half. I finally got it painted. It’s not perfect. I painted it right where you see it. It took 3 tries on the clear. It was my first time spraying 2 stage paint..... Still needs buffed to get the dust nibs out. It won’t win a show for paint but will be plenty good for what I plan to do with it and I don’t have a lot in it.

Now on time to start putting it all back together.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

As far as I can tell, from the picture? It looks every bit as good as, what the factory did.

Mark
    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Looks fantastic so far. Not all of us can afford a custom paint booth or even a custom paint job. Way too labor intensive and expensive. And as most of our cars will never see anything but a local show, how much should anyone be spending on just the paint, let alone a frame off restoration?
      To each his own, to be sure, but it can get out of hand and out of budget in a hurry. There is a 50 Starlight for sale locally here in No. Calif where the asking price for car is already out of this world and its due to the fact that they spent $20,000 on paint and body work alone. The car is completely apart. Who knows if all the parts are there or not? Sadly, the former owner passed away and now its up for sale.
      No upholstery and the engine is apart. His car, his money, for sure. But I could put 4 cars on the road, looking and running pretty dang good for $20K. My major obstacle now is time. I've got 3 cars to get on the road before March. Sheesh.
      sals54

Comment

I think it looks good. You'll be amazed how much the final buffing changes it. My 60 Hawk has a home paint job also. Not high end show quality, but quite serviceable.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

You fellas encourage me. Bess is in bad need of something. Funny how the original primer is holding up great. The paint on the roof is gone almost completely. Yet there is a great layer of primer showing that is in good shape. I sometimes think a light sanding, shoot on a thin layer of primer, just for good measure, and spray something on to preserve the car.

Your Commander looks beautiful!
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks guys. I suppose if someone looked close they could see the flaws. However, after I buff and pollish it will be better. I live on a gravel road..... the first time out will probably yeild a paint chip..... I’m very happy and it looks much better than before. Other than time I have not a lot of dollars invested either.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I hope my Commander gets to where yours is. I figure if it looks good going down the highway it will be fine for me. Most people will think it is perfect.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

More pictures, please!
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

That looks good, it must be the LIGHTEST possible Blue available almost White, a good Custom Color.
                  At least that is how it looks here on the Forum.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Nice job, Kurt! I painted my '64 Daytona in my garage with 2 stage paint. It turned out pretty good, but I went ahead and color sanded and buffed (my first time at both) and it came out excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
                      Nice job, Kurt! I painted my '64 Daytona in my garage with 2 stage paint. It turned out pretty good, but I went ahead and color sanded and buffed (my first time at both) and it came out excellent!
                      any advice on color sanding and buffing? I have painted a lot of single stage paint. Getting the clear to lay down in the two stage was a challenge. I got it pretty good but not perfect for my first try. Usuaally with single stage I do not cut and buff so again new territory.
                      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                      X