PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Hill Holder Restore/Repair

luma
12-09-2018, 10:19 AM
I know I should probably chuck it but I would like to save my OE Avanti Hill Holder. Looks like most others back to the 50's. I have the seal kit but can't seem to get the caps off the side and front of the HH without tearing them up. Any one else ever do this lesson in futility or have some usable parts to save it? As usual, any help greatly appreciated. Stude People are the best! (48 year member!)

(S)
12-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Even the book says 'not serviceable', but you can. I have had good luck filling them with brake clean and capping them up. Let it sit, shake it shake it, and let it sit. and soak it. and sometimes they free up and work fine. Otherwise It takes some serious vice and a pipe wrench unless you know of someone with some special tool. It will tear up the end of it. Good luck.

studegary
12-09-2018, 10:58 AM
I also, would try to free it up. If that does not work, I believe that I would just forget that I have it.

luma
12-09-2018, 01:58 PM
It's free. It leaks at the service rod. You think that's a plumber cap or something? I've soaking it PB Blaster for week.

oilnsteel
12-09-2018, 01:59 PM
I made a special tool out of aluminum that clamps around the cap like the big end of a connecting rod. The serrations on the cap dig into the aluminum and provide a good grip. Be sure to anneal the copper washers before using them. I even anneal new ones.
They grow harder with time. Remove the scale and lap them flat again with sandpaper on a piece of heavy glass or similar flat surface.

JT

PackardV8
12-09-2018, 02:01 PM
A question which may go forever unanswered, "Why was the Hill Holder unit designed to be unserviceable?" There's absolutely no reason it couldn't be serviced; only one moving part and one rubber part. Brake master and wheel cylinders are much more complicated and much more critical.

I did get mine apart, just because I was determined to see what was in there, but it wasn't easy and didn't accomplish anything.

jack vines

firestoper 25
12-10-2018, 12:09 AM
Well fellas this comes at the perfect time, my 63R1089 came with the HH but some time ago a few of the linkage bits and pieces walked away. The main lump is still hanging around on the frame so hope is still around the corner for a winter victory. My 54 five window coupe that I had in high school (1967) had over drive and the HH so it would be fun to have the HH driving experience again. Regards Sherm / Green Bay

luma
12-14-2018, 04:42 PM
Well, for sure I broke it! Snapped off a mounting ear. But I have a NOS one to put in its place. Now, who can tell me where the 3 brake lines go? Or does it even matter? I see how in the shop manuals. Is that correct?
Thanks again, Luma