Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39-40 Champion Coupe

Thanks for the add.

I’m looking for a ‘40 Champion Coupe like my Dad’s. There’s a ‘39 available near me.

Q1: What were the differences between the ‘39 & ‘40 ?

Q2: Did Studebaker make a “Business Coupe” in ‘40 ? If so, did if have jump seats in the back? Or no seats?

Thanks,

I have a '40 champion business coupe. No back seats at all, just a shelf behind the front seat, with a fabric drop to the floor. '39 and '40 are very similar. Grilles on the '39 have both horizontal and vertical bars, like a mesh. '40 has only vertical bars.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The 1939 and ’40 Champions were nearly identical insofar as the sheet metal is concerned. Difference was in trim, bumpers and most notable the seal beam headlights in the ’40. The business coupe had a shelf behind the single 3 passenger seat. You could order the car with small jump seats but these would not accommodate an adult. You would be wise to get a copy of the June 1996 issue of Collectible Automobile that has a 3500 word 12 page article with numerous photos on the ’39 and ’40 usually available by doing an ebay searchhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTIBLE-AUTOMOBILE-MAGAZINE-JUNE-1996/163380574874 . I have one each 1939 and 1940 Coupe Delivery as shown below.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9007 labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	1724543Click image for larger version

Name:	composite1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1724544
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I'd take either one.... I'm not picky.

Comment

One of our members here has a beautifully restored 1940 with the "jump seats". They may be folded into the rear panel. When ready for use, the seats face each other. It is called an "opera coupe".
          Bill Jarvis

Comment

My very first car was a '40 Champion Business Coupe. It didn't have a shelf, but had two folding jump seats in back. Not comfortable. That was in the late '50s.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
            X