1929 Los Angeles Auto Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 Los Angeles Auto Show

A rather well detailed article on the famous fire that year: https://homesteadmuseum.wordpress.co...-show-of-1929/

Much more informative than other articles I've seen on this, which includes exhibitors, and their financial losses in that fire. And the only foreign car at the show was Mercedes Benz.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 12-05-2018, 05:39 AM.

Thanks for including the link to that interesting story. Probably 20 years ago I toured the Auburn Dusenburg Cord museum in Auburn and they had a display of the recreation of 1929 Auburn Speedster Coupe that was destroyed in the fire. It seems that Auburn had created a one off show car that was stunning. To make the car Auburn had made a full size drawing on linen and when Auburn went bankrupt in the late 30's a local sign painter bought some drawings. When he closed his business someone bought these drawings and a doctor from Laporte Indiana used the drawings and other material to recreate the car. Makes one wonder if what might still be laying around South Bend - plans for the Porsche engine? the slab sided pick-up?

Here is a link to the story on the 29 Auburn Speedster recreation

Comment

I posted a photo of that 'Cabin Speedster' replica here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...5336&styleid=1

Craig

Comment

Wow. Over $50K worth of Studebaker/Erskine cars and trucks were destroyed. Thank heaven they were still in production at the time. What a tragedy.
        I noticed from the layout of the displays that Studebaker was right up front on the street.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
          Makes one wonder if what might still be laying around South Bend - plans for the Porsche engine? the slab sided pick-up?
          The drawings for the all new chassis with full coil-spring suspension for a larger size car line surfaced maybe ten years ago.

Craig

Comment

Working...
          X