Is this a Studebaker Goat Wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Studebaker Goat Wagon?

This will be in a local antique auction. If it's a Studebaker, what's a good price to pay for one? BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Hook a goat to it and find out.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It IS missing the Studebaker Script, and does have a "Homemade" look, so I don't know if it's original.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

By the wheels and the overall look, I think that it is a repro. There are people more knowledgeable than I on these.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Most likely an assemble-it-yourself kit: https://www.cottagecraftworks.com/re...unfinished-kit

Craig

Comment

Box looks fairly legit but wheels definitely not correct for an original. Some original images below for comparison. I have a few dozen different. Noah Stutzman (Amish) makes a beautiful reproduction. I bought six of them from him maybe 10 years ago. One shown below.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	jr studebaker deer copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	1724524Click image for larger version

Name:	jr studebaker at fair copy.jpg
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1724525Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398 email forum.jpg
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1724526
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              Box looks fairly legit but wheels definitely not correct for an original. Some original images below for comparison. I have a few dozen different. Noah Stutzman (Amish) makes a beautiful reproduction. I bought six of them from him maybe 10 years ago. One shown below.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]77331[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77332[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]77333[/ATTACH]
              For some reason...I think if the Studebaker Brothers had built King Tut's first chariot...Quinn would have two of them....along with the sales receipt
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I do have the sales receipt for my first Studebaker a '40 Champion John purchased Sept. 4, 1962. Also have a few other misc items.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	40 champ 1962 first stude copy.jpg
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	1724529
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  I do have the sales receipt for my first Studebaker a '40 Champion John purchased Sept. 4, 1962...
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]77339[/ATTACH]
                  I'm impressed. About the only things of mine that survived from my teen years was my box of arrowheads I had collected over the years. What little junk I owned disappeared while I was away in military service. In a large family like ours, many things were either tossed out, repurposed, or pilfered. I don't think anyone was interested in my old cigar box full of artifacts (rocks to them), so somehow they were left alone.

While it's fun to tease you 'bout all your "stuff"...we really owe you serious gratitude and respect for preserving so much. You provide a valuable service in authenticating and giving reference perspective when questionable items surface or are offered for sale. So...all kidding aside, Thank You!

Back to Bob's request...anyone care to offer an idea of what the wagon is worth? I don't. Even if it is not an authentic period piece, I would enjoy having it. It looks well made and could be a great item to store/display diecasts, Turning Wheels, etc., and a great conversation piece.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    For some reason...I think if the Studebaker Brothers had built King Tut's first chariot...Quinn would have two of them....along with the sales receipt
                    Right, John...and he would also have the complete provenance beginning with King Tut's moment of conception; location, level of passion, and assorted (sordid?) details, etc. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, guys (and for your PM, John), but it looks to me like this is not an original and I'm already committed the day and time of the auction and that's the only item at the auction in which I'd be interested, so I'll not be attending the sale.

This fishing expedition was mainly to see if it was a "real" one, and it apparently is not. Too, no one has tendered an opinion as to what constitutes a good price for a real one or comparable reproduction and I'll admit that I'm not sufficiently motivated to do additional research !

If anyone else is interested in bidding on line, here's a link to the auction:

Thanks again for the feedback. BP

Comment

There are two wagons listed for this auction. The one Bob posted looks to be a well-built reproduction. Besides the single shaft for hitching with two pulling animals, in the box, there's a set of double shafts for a single animal to pull the wagon. It looks much like the ones offered in the late 1980's/early '90's(?) on eBay, or at least the plans, along with certain parts as a kit. I'm guessing the seller was getting old because as time went on, you could no longer obtain the components, but for a while the plans. I have not checked in a long time, but after a while, the plans also disappeared.

The second wagon looks like it could actually be one of the Studebaker wagons or one that was built by the same company that made them for Studebaker. The paint certainly looks like old crystalized lacquer finishes of the era. I don't know if the wood is solid, or the wheels tight, but it looks good. The main problem I see with this one is that the box seems to be turned around backward with the tailgate at the front wheels and the dash in the rear. Nothing that couldn't be corrected in a few minutes.

As far a value, the starting bit looks to be $300 for either wagon. The auction site also offers a suggested value of $600-$800 dollars. If I were close and could buy one for $300 I might be tempted. Problem is, I'm at the point to where I can't acquire any more stuff I really don't need unless I get rid of another piece I don't need. In other words...anything I can shove in the front door means something will have to fall out the back door.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

These little wagons were made for a wide variety of wagon makers. Most of the time they were promotional items sold very reasonably. Neither wagon has a proper pole for goats but a pull-handle for children. The nicer wagon is an imitation, probably built from plans. Yes that is a set of shafts in the bed. No, they aren't correct as the right ones would have a different way of attaching to the hounds underneath. The black wagon is old, however not nearly complete with replacement parts cobbled together all over it. Whatever it's age, it doesn't appear to be a S.B. Toy Co. or Studebaker product. For what they want for these, I would order a better wagon from Mr Stutzman.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                            These little wagons were made for a wide variety of wagon makers. Most of the time they were promotional items sold very reasonably. Neither wagon has a proper pole for goats but a pull-handle for children. The nicer wagon is an imitation, probably built from plans. Yes that is a set of shafts in the bed. No, they aren't correct as the right ones would have a different way of attaching to the hounds underneath. The black wagon is old, however not nearly complete with replacement parts cobbled together all over it. Whatever it's age, it doesn't appear to be a S.B. Toy Co. or Studebaker product. For what they want for these, I would order a better wagon from Mr Stutzman.
                            Thanks, Ron. I will certainly defer to your knowledge and experience regarding vintage wagons. I have an interest, like the craftsmanship, but lack the knowledge to even get the correct component names right. I do have fond memories of riding in my grandfather's farm wagon pulled by his big spotted draft horse, Toby. But, just to put that old memory in perspective...I was born in 1944, Grandpa became too ill to handle the horse & wagon before I started first grade, and he died the year I started school in 1951. Those are distant memories indeed! But, my fondness of those moments has sparked the embers of interest for a lifetime.

So...tell me about Mr. Stutzman? Is he still making the wagons? Is there some secret Amish website I'm unaware of? Back in 2012 my wife and I visited the Amish area around South Bend. Thinking I would try to learn something about making wagon wheels, I attempted to find an Amish wheelwright using my GPS. Big mistake...by the time I found the shop, he was all closed up. Don't know if he would have welcomed me anyway, but I tried.

By the way, I have a couple of little pet goats. It would be fun to see if I could train them to pull a wagon, but I'm afraid about all I would accomplish is to traumatize the two and wreck the wagon in the attempt.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              Is there some secret Amish website I'm unaware of?
                              Don't spend too much time trying to find it! They haven't got out of the horse & buggy mode of transportation (yet)!!

The local Hutterites around here don't have TV's, radios or cameras; any entertainment had to be make-your-own; tell all the kids in the riding back of the van to sing to them. Whenever they special ordered a brand new truck or van, they would always specify NO RADIO, but today, its impossible as its part of the 'information center' touchscreen nearly all new vehicles have and can't be deleted. I've been to a Hutterite colony, and they use computers to run their HVAC in the chicken barns, but they weren't connected to the internet at all.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X