1964 Avanti with no engine number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Avanti with no engine number

My 64 Avanti has no engine number at the usual location, at the front of the block. Is this a replacement block? The casting number is 1554641.
    Nick

I would start by cleaning the area well. Then look for feint images of a clover leaf, or a keystone. I’ve seen both images on replacement engine blocks. The internals would then determine engine displacement as all later blocks were essentially cast the same.
    Someone will surely correct me if I missed a point.
    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by Poppicat View Post
      My 64 Avanti has no engine number at the usual location, at the front of the block. Is this a replacement block? The casting number is 1554641.
      Nick
      It's not really an Avanti. You need to sell it quickly and cheaply, before someone mentions it's a Ford engine and the price bottoms out. Huuuurrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

what Sal wrote..........
      Bo

Comment

That Casting Number IS a correct Late '62-'64 Full Flow Oil Filter Block, that's a good thing.

As to what is inside, THAT could be anything from a 259 Crank and hopefully matching Pistons, to Lark/Hawk 289 Dished Pistons with 289 Crank, to correct Flat Top 289 Avanti Pistons.

Pull a Spark Plug and find out.

If the pistons are Flattop, measure the Stroke to see if it is a 259 or an Avanti 289.

If it has the Keystone shaped Stamp with a Number inside, it's just a random Inspector's Number and means nothing except the Casting was inspected.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-04-2018, 01:39 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It also has a Holley 1848-1 four barrel carb and the distributor is not original. The distributor cap is the type that has two prongs with screws that are pressed down and turned that hook onto notches on the distributor. I can’t find any number on the distributor. The cap has that little window that you lift up to adjust the dwell. The rotor is very large. Do these clues help in figuring out the engine?

Comment

Yes it is definitely a 1960 and 1961 Lark Only, Late Delco Window Distributor, the top of it (Cap, Rotor, Points, Cond.) is the same as many Chev./GM Cars 1957-1965ish. or so.

There WAS an Aluminum narrow strap wrapped around the small neck of the Housing with the Delco number when New, but they are all the same, does not matter.

You can adjust the points with the engine running, a VERY desirable thing, before Pertronixs Electronic Ignition Kits for all Studebakers came out.

The Fit in a Hawk is not great, but it does clear the firewall.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Yes it is definitely a 1960 and 1961 Lark Only, Late Delco Window Distributor, the top of it (Cap, Rotor, Points, Cond.) is the same as many Chev./GM Cars 1957-1965ish. or so.

There WAS an Aluminum narrow strap wrapped around the small neck of the Housing with the Delco number when New, but they are all the same, does not matter.

You can adjust the points with the engine running, a VERY desirable thing, before Pertronixs Electronic Ignition Kits for all Studebakers came out.

The Fit in a Hawk is not great, but it does clear the firewall.
              ?? The window distributor fit in my Hawk great, I can't imagine anything fitting better. I replaced it with a GM HEI, (which is at least 1" larger in diameter) and it fit's fine but is a bit tighter.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	1724532

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                ??
                I replaced it with a GM HEI and it fit's fine but is a bit tighter.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]77351[/ATTACH]
                Who made your HEI?
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by Poppicat View Post
                  Nick
                  If you are talking about the drivers side front pad, as in pictures, yes, it is a replacement.

Comment

Plus one!!
                    Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                    I would start by cleaning the area well. Then look for feint images of a clover leaf, or a keystone. I’ve seen both images on replacement engine blocks. The internals would then determine engine displacement as all later blocks were essentially cast the same.
                    Someone will surely correct me if I missed a point.

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                      Who made your HEI?
                      I did. I reworked a Chevy distributor to run backwards (actually the correct way) then grafted the top of it to the bottom of a Stude distributor. An Oldsmobile distributor already runs the right way, but the shaft is too short so you need lengthen it or use the Chevy shaft. I did one with the Olds HEI for my big block Ford 35 years ago. It's still working great.

Comment

Working...
                      X