Old Studebaker Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Studebaker Letter

I drove my 51 to the store while I was getting out of the car a lady walked up and said her husband used to drive a studebaker and he had some pictures and a poster. And would I like to have them. She sent them to me. This is a letter. Dated Aug 5 1905

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Interesting. I noted that it is dated 1905 and they mention automobiles (though I think they were only producing electrics). Note the date on the first shop is 1850 though they did not start operations until 1852. I have a full uncut sheet of postcards with the same image as the factory picture.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Interesting. I noted that it is dated 1905 and they mention automobiles (though I think they were only producing electrics). Note the date on the first shop is 1850 though they did not start operations until 1852. I have a full uncut sheet of postcards with the same image as the factory picture.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I think they started producing wagons in 1852. The one that shows 1850 was just a blacksmith shop.

Comment

I think they started producing wagons in 1852. The one that shows 1850 was just a blacksmith shop.

Comment

"not much chance to spend money in Kansas..."

Jeez, you can only laugh - they'd actually say that in a letter. No sensitivity training then.

Frank Starr
            Seattle

Comment

"not much chance to spend money in Kansas..."

Jeez, you can only laugh - they'd actually say that in a letter. No sensitivity training then.

Frank Starr
              Seattle

Comment

No, Frank, it's a joke. A really good one: Kansas went "dry" in 1880, the first state to do so. That's why there'd be nothing to spend money on--and the "investment" would probably have been bootleg.

Comment

No, Frank, it's a joke. A really good one: Kansas went "dry" in 1880, the first state to do so. That's why there'd be nothing to spend money on--and the "investment" would probably have been bootleg.

Comment

The picture dated 1850 is actually of the Blacksmith Shop in Ashland Ohio. Wagons were produced from 1852 on. In 1905, the factory was producing and selling horse-drawn buggies and wagons, electric powered cars, trucks and buses and gas powered vehicle under the name of Studebaker-Garford. Only company to produce all three types of vehicles. At the International Meet in Lancaster this fall, there will be a major lobby exhibit at the AACA Museum, a short 25 mile drive away and a tour site stop, in hershey, PA showing all three facets of the Studebaker operation. Come to Lancaster in September and see the ONLY exhibit outside of the SNM showing horse-drawn, electric and gas powered vehicles by Studebaker in one place at one time.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The picture dated 1850 is actually of the Blacksmith Shop in Ashland Ohio. Wagons were produced from 1852 on. In 1905, the factory was producing and selling horse-drawn buggies and wagons, electric powered cars, trucks and buses and gas powered vehicle under the name of Studebaker-Garford. Only company to produce all three types of vehicles. At the International Meet in Lancaster this fall, there will be a major lobby exhibit at the AACA Museum, a short 25 mile drive away and a tour site stop, in hershey, PA showing all three facets of the Studebaker operation. Come to Lancaster in September and see the ONLY exhibit outside of the SNM showing horse-drawn, electric and gas powered vehicles by Studebaker in one place at one time.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                      X