Progress on 1954 Studebaker Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress on 1954 Studebaker Champion

It's been a while since I posted pic's of the '54 Champion Restomod. It's close to the end so I thought it's time to show where it's at. This project has been truly satisfying to build as we are using the thought of; "How would Studebaker build a Champion if they were in business today" so it's all up to date mechanically and the design ideas are thought to pay tribute to the greatness of Studebaker in it's glory days.
    Fuel injected LS3, 5 speed manual, Speed Tech F&R Suspension, in house designed/engineered/built frame, 373 posi, 13" disc's with 4 piston calipers all around, NOS F&R fenders, handbuilt floor boards, etc.
    It's had just over 3,000 hours on it to date & another 400 or so to go. We are busting our butts because it'll be in competition at the Grand National Roadster Show at the end of January 2019.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince 54 Stud (275).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1759801 Click image for larger version

Name:	1954 Studebaker Champion (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1759799 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince 54 Stud (853).jpg
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1759802 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince 54 Stud (231).jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1759800Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince 54 Stud (1188).jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1759795Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince 54 Stud (1187).jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1759796 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince 54 Stud (1193).jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1759797Click image for larger version

Name:	Vince 54 Stud (1190).jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1759798

It looks like an excellent build. That would be a 2019 Commander Starlight, not a Champion. That is a nice looking 1951 Ford.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

First class build. Awesome job. Questions about your radiator choice and installation. My winter project is to improve my cooling on my 53 K restomod. I currently have a thread going in Tech forum.
      Ken MacKenzie
      53 Starliner modified

Comment

Congrats on a beautiful build and getting into the GNRS . I've missed a couple of years of attending and am making an attempt this January to get there again. I'll look it up if I make it.

As Gary indicates, "Champion" only means it was a 6 cylinder car (any body style) with a light duty trans and rear end and small brakes. "Starlight" is the body style. Commonly known as a coupe or pillared hardtop. The Starlight came with both Champion and Commander (V8) drivetrains.

My 54 Commander Starliner was in the GNRS in 2000 when the show was still at the Cow Palace in San Francisco...

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Very well done, you'll be thrashing to make GNRS but dang nice car. Bob

Comment

macstude
            With this car being used in some Autocross events and a lot of road tours, we decided to up the size of the radiator so we used an aluminum '69 Camaro radiator & cooling electric fans. We had to modify the rad area and install the rad at an angle to get that size to fit it in.

Comment

Autocross might be tough with a 120" wheelbase car, but it sure looks like it will be tons of fun on a road course with that chassis!
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick
                It's being built for street use so autocrossing the car will be more for fun than to compete. Any track is good to put a car though it's paces and not get a ticket for having fun with it :-)

Comment

Cool. I used to do a fare amount of Slalom Racing (what AutoCross WAS called back in the 60's and 70's.
                  IF...they let me, I want to give the Autocross a try in my 2, 54 wagons (one at a time !).

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X