No announcement yet.

Do 6 volt wiper motors need a fuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Do 6 volt wiper motors need a fuse?

Installing the correct 6 volt wiper motor in my 3R6 pickup. It's the same unit as was used on Stude 6v cars. They were so rare in trucks that the shop manual doesn't even discuss them or show them on the wiring diagram. The motor appears to have a built-in circuit breaker. True? Or should I add a fuse?
    Skip Lackie

An inline fuse wouldn't hurt anything. As you know, a circuit breaker would alert you that there's a problem but would reset as soon as the wire cooled, and repeat the cycle until you find the problem. But a fuse would protect completely until the problem is found and repaired.

Now that you have asked the question...I will have to go out & check mine.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wipers generally use a circuit breaker. A prolonged moderate overload can cook a motor. Sometimes the breaker is part of the park plate on the gear housing.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gord. I thought that was what was going on.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

The correct Wiper Switch WILL have a Circuit Breaker on it, the motors do not have Fuses or Breakers, only a "Parking Switch".
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Rich. I do have the correct switch. In my original post, I shoulda said that the SWITCH (not the motor) appears to have a built-in circuit breaker.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X