View Full Version : Engine: Valve spring keeper

11-18-2018, 08:26 AM
I have a 51 champ with a flat 6. I am trying to remove valve spring. Spring is compressed. Spring tension clip is removed but I am having trouble removing keeper. Can anyone help? Thanks Jim

11-18-2018, 10:22 AM
PB blaster or your favorite spray and a pick tool. A small torch, not too hot will burn the carbon/gunk holding it if the pick does not work .

Welcome to the forum!

11-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Thanks, new at this and didn’t want to break anything

11-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Make sure the spring compressor has the spring compressed fully, if the spring is fully compressed the keepers will be fully exposed and should be easily removed, maybe with a light tap with a screwdriver.
If the spring is not fully compressed the keepers will be difficult to remove.

11-18-2018, 02:40 PM
Don't forget to put a rag in the bottom of valve opening to keep the keepers from going into the oil pan. I use a magnet to remove keepers.
Jerry Kurtz

11-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Hi Jim, and let me also welcome you to the Forum. If you have not joined the SDC or one of our two local NC chapters yet, we would love to have you. As many have said, the Turning Wheels magazine is worth your annual dues by itself. In any case, good luck with that valve spring!

11-19-2018, 06:31 AM
Hi Jim, your champ valve keeper is a horse shoe affair, open on 1 side, not a split key like the V8. you should be able to turn that valve to get the open side away from you then work it off. Luck Doofus

11-19-2018, 06:57 AM
The plate under the valve spring has a notch that needs to be aligned up with the open end of the horse shoe keeper on assembly.

11-19-2018, 07:00 AM
Thanks for that info I think it will help a lot. I guess the problem is that I need to get a tool that will compress the spring enough to see the keeper. I’ve seen on a video to use a pry bar and lift the spring and then tap the valve with a hammer. Just doesn’t seem right to me. Is that the correct way or what kind of tool do you think is best? Thanks Jim

11-19-2018, 07:10 AM
Valve spring comperssor looks like a large "c" clamp with a lever that moves the spring. Google valve spring compressor.

11-19-2018, 10:10 AM
771107711177112The big "C" clamp style is for overhead valve engines and the four smaller samples are for the flat head 6 engines, there are probably other samples but these were most common in the day. The little round thing is the keeper.

11-19-2018, 06:47 PM
With the head off would the c clamp work

11-19-2018, 10:07 PM
With the head off would the c clamp work
I never thought of that but it might work.