The price of being "out of touch"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of being "out of touch"

Reverse of this for trucks... seems most vendors want $75-$100 for the late model s/s hubcaps and I picked one up on eBay for $10.99. So, works both ways!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Reverse of this for trucks... seems most vendors want $75-$100 for the late model s/s hubcaps and I picked one up on eBay for $10.99. So, works both ways!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

The price of being "out of touch"

Here's some nice '62 (advertised as '63) dog dish hubcaps on ebay...

...only $400 for the set (that's $100 each for dog dish hubcaps) [:0]

I emailed the seller to let him know that most Studebaker vendors had the same ones for $40 each and he might want to drop his price to sell them.

His reply...

"thanks, but I've sold 4 sets already for $400".

What does a person do who isn't connected with SDC (and this forum)? It must take a freakin' FORTUNE to restore a Studebaker!

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

That is a trip, Dick. Some People have been badly infected with the EBAy Syndrome.... LOL. But, What I would really like to see is a resourceful "Rot Radder" exercise their creativity, and actually use REAL Dog Dishes for Hubcaps on their Machine.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

That is a trip, Dick. Some People have been badly infected with the EBAy Syndrome.... LOL. But, What I would really like to see is a resourceful "Rot Radder" exercise their creativity, and actually use REAL Dog Dishes for Hubcaps on their Machine.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wally
            But, What I would really like to see is some resourceful "Rot Radder" exercise their creativity, and actually use REAL Dog Dishes for Hubcaps on their Machine.
            I like it! [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wally
              But, What I would really like to see is some resourceful "Rot Radder" exercise their creativity, and actually use REAL Dog Dishes for Hubcaps on their Machine.
              I like it! [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I can sell them for $20 each and make good money.

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54664,75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,839.60
                63 Lark 2 door
                57 wagon
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I can sell them for $20 each and make good money.

JDP/Maryland
                  63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                  spent to date $54664,75
                  64 R2 GT (Sid)
                  spent to date $62,839.60
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  57 wagon
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

What does a person do who isn't connected with SDC (and this forum)? It must take a freakin' FORTUNE to restore a Studebaker!
                    It is only going to get worse. I got a call the other day from a fellow who has Studebakers, he found mention of the SDC in Hemmings. He called me to join the SDC, and to order a grille badge and a lapel pin. He has been collecting cars since the 80's. I had one application/folder for the SDC and enclosed it in the order.

I keep telling you, ... people do not know the SDC exists. There are cars out there with owners who buy off E-bay or out of Hemmings, or at flea markets and swap meets, who have no idea of the vendor network.

Over Christmas a large amount of our sales were generated via the web. We checked each order against the 2007 roster, and against our UPS, USPS data base. A lot were not members of the SDC.

I emailed Larry Swanson for more "join the SDC flyers" we are now going to start enclosing them with every order that does not match the roster. But......People don't know about the SDC. It is not anyone's fault, but sadly it is true.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

It is only going to get worse. I got a call the other day from a fellow who has Studebakers, he found mention of the SDC in Hemmings. He called me to join the SDC, and to order a grille badge and a lapel pin. He has been collecting cars since the 80's. I had one application/folder for the SDC and enclosed it in the order.

I keep telling you, ... people do not know the SDC exists. There are cars out there with owners who buy off E-bay or out of Hemmings, or at flea markets and swap meets, who have no idea of the vendor network.

Over Christmas a large amount of our sales were generated via the web. We checked each order against the 2007 roster, and against our UPS, USPS data base. A lot were not members of the SDC.

I emailed Larry Swanson for more "join the SDC flyers" we are now going to start enclosing them with every order that does not match the roster. But......People don't know about the SDC. It is not anyone's fault, but sadly it is true.

Comment

Sometimes, the fact that SDC IS THERE - doesn't mean that a Stude person will jump right in with glee.

It was just a couple months ago that I visited a guy who had a NICE 55 Champion sedan he was proud of. He also had another Stude that he wanted to sell PLUS some odds 'n ends parts for both cars that he wanted to be free of.
                        This guy had bought this 55 Champion out of a Thrifty Nickel ad paper and restored it with parts bought here and there. The sad thing is, while he was triumphantly recounting the keen sleuthing he'd pulled off in tracking down parts he needed, I was groaning while he was gleefully telling of the "bargains" and "luck" he encountered in the pursuit.[V]
                        Well, in spite of what some might suspect I'd do, I wasa VERY PC with the guy as I informed him of SDC (and he was surprized that such an organization actually existed) and how to join. Also told him how to find us on the net. In spite of my giving SDC the "hard sell", the guy kept begging off. So, whattaya gonna do?
                        He's perfectly happy letting Joe Rube at Kragan find him a "deal" on an oil filter or some such thing. If you feel you don't need a informative, supportive organization to help you swim against the current - lucky you![8]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sometimes, the fact that SDC IS THERE - doesn't mean that a Stude person will jump right in with glee.

It was just a couple months ago that I visited a guy who had a NICE 55 Champion sedan he was proud of. He also had another Stude that he wanted to sell PLUS some odds 'n ends parts for both cars that he wanted to be free of.
                          This guy had bought this 55 Champion out of a Thrifty Nickel ad paper and restored it with parts bought here and there. The sad thing is, while he was triumphantly recounting the keen sleuthing he'd pulled off in tracking down parts he needed, I was groaning while he was gleefully telling of the "bargains" and "luck" he encountered in the pursuit.[V]
                          Well, in spite of what some might suspect I'd do, I wasa VERY PC with the guy as I informed him of SDC (and he was surprized that such an organization actually existed) and how to join. Also told him how to find us on the net. In spite of my giving SDC the "hard sell", the guy kept begging off. So, whattaya gonna do?
                          He's perfectly happy letting Joe Rube at Kragan find him a "deal" on an oil filter or some such thing. If you feel you don't need a informative, supportive organization to help you swim against the current - lucky you![8]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have a similar story, now maybe 30 years old. I was running the auto hobby shop on the Annapolis Naval station when a guy showed up in his Studebaker. he proudly explained the then $300 replating bill on his bumpers, the professionally welded up rust on the rear of the front fender and on the rear quarters. He had just spent 3K on sheet metal and chrome, and I thought it only fair to show him the Newman & Altman ad in Turning wheels and their catalog. His car's ( a 64 Cruiser) bumpers were $15 each, fenders were $35, not a happy camper.

JDP/Maryland
                            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                            spent to date $54664,75
                            64 R2 GT (Sid)
                            spent to date $62,839.60
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            57 wagon
                            51 Commander
                            39 Coupe express
                            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a similar story, now maybe 30 years old. I was running the auto hobby shop on the Annapolis Naval station when a guy showed up in his Studebaker. he proudly explained the then $300 replating bill on his bumpers, the professionally welded up rust on the rear of the front fender and on the rear quarters. He had just spent 3K on sheet metal and chrome, and I thought it only fair to show him the Newman & Altman ad in Turning wheels and their catalog. His car's ( a 64 Cruiser) bumpers were $15 each, fenders were $35, not a happy camper.

JDP/Maryland
                              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                              spent to date $54664,75
                              64 R2 GT (Sid)
                              spent to date $62,839.60
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              57 wagon
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment