Studebaker truck windshield install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker truck windshield install

Greetings. any hints for installing windshield and back glass on 1949 C cab 1/2 ton truck?

Originally posted by davidj View Post
    Greetings. any hints for installing windshield and back glass on 1949 C cab 1/2 ton truck?
    Be nice to have the shop manual. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I still have that job to do on my truck so I can't speak from experience, but I would welcome any tips also. I do know that you need to be careful to install the rubber around the back glass the correct side out. I have seen some installed wrong.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

It's basically the same process for early C cabs and M trucks. It takes at least two people, three is better. Use lots of Windex as a lubricant for the rubber.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield_install.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1724293
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Cut yourself a couple of wooden wedges to keep the two piece windshield spaced in the middle . If you don’t use them the glass will have a tendency to push together in the center and you want a gap there to accommodate the center strip.
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The glass is installed from the INSIDE, unlike later cars. This is why that back glass rubber sometimes gets installed backwards.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I have installed 2 using poly baler twine and stopcock grease. I stays the same viscosity over a huge temp range and never hardens. The poly twine is slippery. So far no leaks. It is about $18 for a 60g tube . you'll need 2. It is Dow Corning stopcock or vacuum grease pn 146355D (and ,of course, the price has gone up!)
              Last edited by Jeffry Cassel; 11-11-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X