Trunk mat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk mat question

Seems to me, I remember a discussion about a different style trunk mat that made for some Studebakers. I found the pictured mat in a stash of Stude parts and I have never seen one like this. No provision for a stand up spare, so I'm a little confused. I'm hoping some of you Studebaker experts can clear this up for me. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Jamie, do I recall that the Scotsman lacked a spare tire, or am I mistaken?
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

How about if... The left side of the picture goes to the front of the car? The cut out on the top of the picture is where the spare goes?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        How about if... The left side of the picture goes to the front of the car? The cut out on the top of the picture is where the spare goes?
        Thanks! That is what I thought also.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's the pattern and weave used in 1955. At first thought that it was C/K, but checked my Speedster and the tail, to the rear of the spare, precludes that. It might be for a 1955 sedan or maybe 56, whichever the spare lies flat.

Comment

This Mat is for a Stand up Spare Car, as all '53-'58 Sedans except Scotsman Models have.
            However the shape looks a bit wrong, so if it does not fit a Stude. Sedan Trunk, it simply is for another Make.

All C & K Models '53 to '64 have Lay-Down Spares, so no Tire cutout like that.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-07-2018, 12:21 AM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So does anyone want to school me on trunk mats? I've had quite a few cars some had mats when I got them, but the vast majority had none. Did all Studebakers come with mats, or as I guess, some did and some did not. Anyone willing to satisfy this inquiring mind?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2DF3EE5A-7C5F-4B8E-855A-BC437A3B9D05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	1724294Doesn’t look anywhere close to the mat in my 57 Commander 4dr.
                Don’t know why pic posted sideways, sorry.
                Last edited by tim333; 11-08-2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

They ALL did, but few survived.

The woven Burtex Type were the early ones, the Hogs tooth Design imprinted Rubber ones followed.
                  Most NICE restored Cars now have the Repro Vinyl Replacement Mats that Look a bit correct, but are the wrong, and thinner material.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This is the trunk mat in the '57 Golden Hawk with a pic of the underlayment. Mat isn't Burtex like the sides but a woven, nylon/plastic material, but it was certainly made to fit. BTW, it cleaned up pretty well.

Name:	DSCN4218.jpg
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1724295Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4220.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1724296

Comment

Has anyone ever seen a Golden Hawk with a Packard/Packard Hawk similar, full trunk lining like this, or is it GH 500 only, or owner modified?
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That black material under the mat looks like roofing tar paper? The white lines are used to get the next course lined up as you roll it out. Someone may have put that in for sound deadening.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Has anyone ever seen a Golden Hawk with a Packard/Packard Hawk similar, full trunk lining like this, or is it GH 500 only, or owner modified?
                          You probably mean Golden Hawk 400, but I get your "drift". I think that the full lining was only on the Packard Hawk, the Golden Hawk 400 and one prototype/experimental/practice/special Golden Hawk.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            You probably mean Golden Hawk 400, but I get your "drift". I think that the full lining was only on the Packard Hawk, the Golden Hawk 400 and one prototype/experimental/practice/special Golden Hawk.
                            And this would be that prototype/experimental/practice/special Golden Hawk as discussed at length in this thread http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-a-400-Hope-so The "tarpaper" looks to be just that and was factory installed in the trunk as well as the interior front floorboard. Another oddity are the 2 piece sill plates instead of the wide, embossed factory GH sills which were changed for '58 to the narrow plain style.

Name:	DSCN4247.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1724301 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4250.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1724300

Comment

Well that answers my question then, THIS is not your "run of Mill", average '57 Golden Hawk to have everyone copy to be correct.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X