Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct transmission mounts - what to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct transmission mounts - what to use?

I am posting this for a friend who has a 54 Starlight coupe. He is installing a 289 with a flightomatic. He is trying to purchase the correct transmission mounts. The vendors show mounts for 56-57 cars and then a different set for 58-64 cars. My parts books do not include those years. Studerbakeronline parts show the 56-57 to be part number #ins204 and 58-64 to be #ins208. We do not know what year the transmission is from. What is the best approach for him?
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Is the transmission a long tail shaft or a short tail shaft? That should be the difference in the transmission mounts.

57 and older is short tail shaft and 58 and newer is long tail shaft.

The best approach for him is to understand and know what he has for parts, what years and models. Then he can inform the parts people.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

What are the lengths of the short and long tail? I have a flightO-Matic on my car and it has an 18 inch tail
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Do you know anyone who has a Studebaker V-8 car with an automatic transmission installed in it? You could measure that. If one assumes that the transmission is correct for the year of the car you can extrapolate the answer.

Failing that, your friend could order both types and return the one that is not correct. I generally advise against returns as it disrespects the vendor.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

My 289 in my 53 coupe was from a 63, I guess the trans might be the same.
          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
            What are the lengths of the short and long tail? I have a flightO-Matic on my car and it has an 18 inch tail
            All that really matters is whether or not it has the correct to the 1963 Car Year, slide-in opening for a slip Yoke & ONE piece Driveshaft.

However the Flight-O-Matic Converter Housing HOLES that the Rear Engine Mounts attach to, are all THE SAME. That means that among '56-'64 Flight-O-Matics, the Trans. year has NOTHING to do with the Type of rear engine mount at all.

It is the Body and Frame that changed causing the different Mounts. it is unlikely that EITHER mount will drop into the Frame holes, the Flight-O-Matic Frame hole location is not likely to be the same as the Detroit Gear Auto Trans. rear engine mount holes, so they will need to be drilled.

The Center Support Crossmember will need to be partially or completely cut out, to install a ONE Piece Driveshaft.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-05-2018, 02:34 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              Is the transmission a long tail shaft or a short tail shaft? That should be the difference in the transmission mounts.

57 and older is short tail shaft and 58 and newer is long tail shaft.

The best approach for him is to understand and know what he has for parts, what years and models. Then he can inform the parts people.
              The '53 - '57, short tail shaft, transmissions, were used with 2 piece drive shaft assemblies. '58 and newer were used with one piece assemblies. As long as you use the correct tail shaft and drive shaft combination, either should be Okay!

Mark
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

18" sure sounds like a long tail to me.

Comment

The only difference between the INS 204 mount set and the INS 208 mount set is the location of the hole pattern where it bolts to the bellhousing side.
                  The 204 set, what I call the Lark set (plus ‘56 - ‘57 all), allows the bellhousing/transmission to set somewhat lower than does the 208 set, what I call the Avanti/Hawk set (‘58 all, ‘59 - ‘64 Hawk, Avanti)
                  A few years ago, I had a ‘63 Cruiser that the front u-joint yoke would hit the floorboard on certain occasions. I found that someone had installed the late Hawk mounts, which raised the transmission so that the rear especially was too close to the floorboards. I installed the Lark mounts and all was well.
                  I am guessing that, considering you have the early floorboard style, that the INS 204 would give you a little more desired clearance. Don’t forget the 1/2” spacer on the driver's side.
                  Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 11-05-2018, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Thank you, really good information. He is installing the 1960 289 With flightomatic into a 54 starlight Coupe frame. At one time with this frame had a 289 with Slota Mattick with a one piece driveline. We pull that engine and transmission and put it in something else and there are no mounts anymore but the holes in the frame are there now. He has not got back with me yet on whether his tail is the same length as the flightomatic that was in it before. I have been passing on all the information that you guys are giving me to him.
                    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

All ‘58 to ‘64 FlightoMatics are the same length.

Comment

His is an 18" tail also, so long tail. He is ordering the 204 mounts. Thanks.
                        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Working...
                        X