PDA

View Full Version : Frame/Springs What is standard ride height, and how is it measured?

roman.powell
10-30-2018, 07:20 PM
The rear end of my 4 door 1964 Daytona seems to be sagging a bit. The driver side is about half an inch lower than the passenger side, too. I think new leaf springs might be in order, but I'd like to have some point of reference to compare it to. So, what is standard ride height, and how is it measured? Thanks.

StudeRich
10-31-2018, 02:17 AM
The best measure I have used over the years, is simply to notice other similar Car's ride height and compare visually.
It becomes very obvious that some are too low and due for spring replacement.

Exact numbers vary with Load, age, Mileage, Tire size, type, air pressure etc. so are not credible.

Also weak Rear springs can easily be identified by their lack of proper Arch.

76690 76691 Are your Tire sidewalls showing about as much as these, or quite a bit less?

jackb
10-31-2018, 08:16 AM
Despite the "leaning" just look at the rocker panels. They should be perfectly horizontal. Measure both sides of the rockers @ front & back and compare. If you want your car to look right (as in factory), pay the piper for a good spring outfit to bend up stock specs......

DEEPNHOCK
10-31-2018, 12:48 PM
Try reading these threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=studebaker+ride+height+site:forum.studebakerdriversclub.com&num=30&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjl0JyqnrHeAhWEzVMKHapIBCUQrQIoBDAAegQIHBAM&biw=1280&bih=578

roman.powell
10-31-2018, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

It’s a little tough to compare to those photos, StudeRich, but on my car I think I can see less of the sidewall in the back and more in the front. On the driver side, I measure about 4.5” of sidewall from the edge of the rear rim to the fender, and about 7” from the front rim to the fender. There’s a good 1.5” gap above the front tire. The body’s half an inch higher than that on the passenger side.

jackb, the rear end of the rocker is actually higher than the front end by half an inch.

Thanks for the link, DEEPNHOCK. I had already done that exact search and read those posts before I posted. I thought maybe I was missing a specific measurement technique, like the ones I found for other makes.

Based on the height of the rocker panels, maybe I’m making something out of nothing. Hmmm….

roman.powell
10-31-2018, 07:48 PM
My rear end is about an inch lower than this car, and the front end is about the same:
https://rmsothebys-cache.azureedge.net/b/3/1/c/a/b/b31cab88282b805ba19882dcabbeac2caed4f704.jpg

StudeRich
10-31-2018, 07:52 PM
Without seeing it, it sounds to me like a possibility is the Front Springs have been replaced with H.D. maybe too tall springs, and rotated unevenly and incorrectly causing the "Lean".

This IS a South Bend Car, with a V8, right? The reason I ask is, a Canadian Daytona Six cannot handle H.D. V8 Front Springs. :(

roman.powell
10-31-2018, 08:10 PM
Yeah, it was built on October 1, 1963 in South Bend, and it came with a 259 (which now has a 289 crank).