Clean Out Both Sides of Your Rocker Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Out Both Sides of Your Rocker Panels

When I brought my 1950 Land Cruiser home this spring, the first thing I did was get under the car to lubricate everything and rebuild the brakes. I looked for any accumulated dirt to get rid of. I used compressed air to blow away any dirt and mud clumps. The other day I was vacuuming the carpet the car is parked on, and the vacuum bumped the stainless trim on the rocker panel. I was surprised at the amount of dirt that fell down, so I started tapping on the stainless and got about a cup full of dirt out of it. I'll have to take it out of the garage and use compressed air to blow between the stainless trim and rocker panels. A previous owner must have lived on a dirt road.
    Until 1993 I lived 3 miles back on a dirt road, and accumulated dirt can rust out a car almost as bad as road salt.

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    When I brought my 1950 Land Cruiser home this spring, the first thing I did was get under the car to lubricate everything and rebuild the brakes. I looked for any accumulated dirt to get rid of. I used compressed air to blow away any dirt and mud clumps. The other day I was vacuuming the carpet the car is parked on, and the vacuum bumped the stainless trim on the rocker panel. I was surprised at the amount of dirt that fell down, so I started tapping on the stainless and got about a cup full of dirt out of it. I'll have to take it out of the garage and use compressed air to blow between the stainless trim and rocker panels. A previous owner must have lived on a dirt road.
    Until 1993 I lived 3 miles back on a dirt road, and accumulated dirt can rust out a car almost as bad as road salt.
    what do you guys call rocker panels ???

Comment

Originally posted by Rooneytoons View Post
      The part of the body that runs from the front fender opening, under the door, to the front of the rear fender opening. They often have a moulding mounted to them.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Rocker panels are the curved steel below the doors. It's nice that my Studebakers have open rocker panels, so it's easy to see any dirt resting on the inside edge. My 1999 Olds has enclosed rocker panels, but they were only enclosed for a few years. They are now almost totally gone.......eaten away by road salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          The part of the body that runs from the front fender opening, under the door, to the front of the rear fender opening. They often have a moulding mounted to them.
          thank you for the reply

Comment

TWChamp, I too had a lot of dirt inside the rockers, frame rails and behind the stainless trim on the rockers. Now blow out the cavities at the front of the rear fenders, my 52 Starliner was packing 8 lb of dirt and pea gravel inside the (front ends) of the rear fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooneytoons View Post
              I believe they would be called sill covers in the UK. Not to be confused with rocker covers in the UK, which we would call valve covers here in North America.

Comment

Originally posted by my2R5 View Post
                I believe they would be called sill covers in the UK. Not to be confused with rocker covers in the UK, which we would call valve covers here in North America.
                There are bud

Comment

Working...
                X