Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Filter

Looks like I may have found a generator, the Speedway Motors one looks interesting, but with freight will blow the budget.
    On a slightly different note, I'm pretty sure my block is a '63 going by the numbers above, but the engine has the old tower type
    filler connected & I can't see evidence of an oil filter bracket on the right side of the block?

regards , Cus

t.
    sigpic

read the serial number just to the right of the oil filler on the engine. It should be stamped in there on the flat place.

Comment

The engine may have been in a truck. Does it have a block off like this on the side of the block?
      Attached Files
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
        read the serial number just to the right of the oil filler on the engine. It should be stamped in there on the flat place.
        Not trying to be smart, but that's why I included a photo of the number.
        sigpic

Comment

I had read that full flow started in '63, that's the confusing part, my block has No.P90294 or P93294, hard to make out the third stamp, but I think that makes it '63, but has no oil filter attachment or opening on the right side of the block,
          maybe it's been re-stamped? Is there any other distinguishing features of a full flow?

regards, Cus
          sigpic

Comment

The stamped serial number needs more cleaning and better light, but I'm sure the first number is not a 9, but might be an 8. The next to last number is what a Studebaker 9 looks like.
            The block casting number 535601 was used from 1955 into 1962, before the full flow block. Full flow blocks use casting number 1554641.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks Dwain,
              The number is very worn with very shallow stamps, I think you're right , could be an "8" making it a '63 289 block, I've been told has 259 internals though.
              So, it looks like the filter will bolt to the filling tube, has anybody got a detailed photo of the mounts & plumbing for this, regards, Cus
              sigpic

Comment

I didn't realize that was the stamping in the second picture....

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                  I didn't realize that was the stamping in the second picture....
                  That's OK, because it is not legible anyway.

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
                  /Cut/So, it looks like the filter will bolt to the filling tube, has anybody got a detailed photo of the mounts & plumbing for this, regards, Cus
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	61 Baby Blue5.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1724162 Here is what a '58 to early '62 Hawk Engine with the Fram PB-50 Oil Filter Element or equivalent, the 1555325 Base, Mounting Bracket, 2 Hoses, 2 Bolts, 2 Nuts and Washers should look like.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 10-26-2018, 02:55 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X