Vent window sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Vent window sealant

The vent window glass on my '54 coupe was shattered so I removed the shards with the original glass seal within the stainless frame still intact and in good condition. I've got new vent glass and want to install it with the old seal. I thought I read an old post about reusing this vent window seal by using a bead of sealant upon installation, but I haven't been able to find that thread.

Can anyone recommend a sealant that would work best?

Studebaker used glass-setting tape (Studebaker called it cushion), which is really thin rubber about 3/32" thick. Some glass shops may still have some, and I have some in my stash if you want to stick to originality. I think most glass shops have switched to adhesive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

The product traditionally used by auto glass shops is called Everseal. Not rubber, not quite tar-paper, either. Made for the job. Comes in different thicknesses.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
        The product traditionally used by auto glass shops is called Everseal. Not rubber, not quite tar-paper, either. Made for the job. Comes in different thicknesses.
        Is the the stuff here? https://www.allglassparts.com/sealst...-32-thickness/

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Studebaker used glass-setting tape (Studebaker called it cushion), which is really thin rubber about 3/32" thick. Some glass shops may still have some, and I have some in my stash if you want to stick to originality. I think most glass shops have switched to adhesive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
          It's called "glass tape" available from any auto glass shop. Ford used this tape for decades in every vehicle that came with vent windows.

It was also used to adhere glass to window channels.

Pic from Ford truck parts catalog, notice # next to vent glass basic part number 21412 and below door glass basic part number 21410

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026121922FP-7636-B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1724154
          Last edited by WinM1895; 10-26-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Wow Bill, anyone who complains about having trouble reading and understanding Studebaker Parts Catalogs, should have to deal with a confusing MESS like that Ford one!

They tried to put EVERY configuration all in ONE Page!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Wow Bill, anyone who complains about having trouble reading and understanding Studebaker Parts Catalogs, should have to deal with a confusing MESS like that Ford one!

They tried to put EVERY configuration all in ONE Page!
              Ford parts catalogs are easy-peasy because the group number is the basic part number. And these group numbers have been the same for decades.

Basic part number for the vent weatherstrip is 21448 in pic.

Take that number to the text, add the body type (81), the prefix and suffix and you get this:

C1TZ-8121448-A .. R/S Vent Weatherstrip = 1961/66 F100/1100, 1963/69 N/NT500/1100, 1967/69 F800/1000.

Every cylinder head is 6049, steering wheel is 3600, hood is 16612 and etc etc etc.

Whiz over to ford-trucks.com (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) where I have over 76,000 posts...user name NumberDummy.

Comment

Originally posted by my2R5 View Post
                Yes, that's the stuff. But it comes in different thicknesses. And you won't find it in just any glass shop. Only the ones that also work on "non-modern" cars.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                X