Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brighter 6V brake and taillights.. Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Brighter 6V brake and taillights.. Any ideas?

'51 Commander, 6V electrics. Headlights are easy enough, 6V halogen bulbs and headlight relays are thick on the ground.

Any suggestions on how to brighten up the brake and taillights? They're tiny and dangerously dim compared to anything else on the road.

I had some really nice results by taking the assemblies apart and carefully cleaning all the contacts and sockets. Don't forget the bullet connectors where the tail lights plug into the rear harness. You can lose some voltage there. Then repaint the reflectors the brightest shiniest white (NOT silver)you can find and put in fresh bulbs. The 6 volt bulbs actually produce the same candlepower as the 12 volt bulbs as long as they are getting the rated voltage. Use some good glass cleaner and a brush to get all the film off of the inside of the lenses. The glass lenses do filter out more light than plastic lenses do, but with the reflectors painted white you will still get a good showing. It's also not a bad idea to run a separate ground wire from each lamp assy down to the frame as all those old body panels and fasteners are not making a good ground like they used to. I have done this on both of my 50s with satisfactory results.

Comment

I had the same concerns, and found this: http://jandlenterprise.com/products/brakelighter.htm Nice and bright and brings it up where the SUVs won't miss it. And Ross gives good advice, I did the same.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20181023_181305.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1724121
      Last edited by gjamesk; 10-23-2018, 05:38 PM.
      3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

I installed a 6VDC alternator on my 1950 Champion. It helps quite a lot, especially when engine is at low rpms. Now looking in to upgrading as many bulbs as possible, such as LED.

Originally posted by gjamesk View Post
        I had the same concerns, and found this: http://jandlenterprise.com/products/brakelighter.htm Nice and bright and brings it up where the SUVs won't miss it.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]76537[/ATTACH]

Comment

Ditto what Ross says; I had good results on my '51 doing these things. The biggest problem seemed to be in bright sunlight, as the lens isn't shielded from overhead external sunlight, so a 3rd brakelight is always a good idea...

Comment

Most LEDs will work on 6 volts no problem. Many are also wired so polarity isn't a factor. It takes some research to find non polarity sensitive bulbs. (LEDs)
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

All of my current registered Studebakers are six volt systems. On one, I have converted the front park lights to dual element bulbs so that they can double as turn signals. I have read that if you convert any system 6 or 12 volts to all LED bulbs, conventional bi-metal flashers will not work. So...I'm wondering if you installed LED bulbs inside the housing parallel wired with the regular bulb socket if the LEDs would give good bright light, and function along with the regular bulbs. As small as LEDs are, with some good craftsmanship skills, there should be room in the housing for both.

I have thought about it, but never tried it.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I made my own electronic flasher about 15 years ago that will flash at the same rate from no load to any load up to 15 amps, which is the rating of the relay contacts.
                Since making this though I have found electronic flashers, that even though marked 12 volts, will work down to 6.2 volts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronic Flasher Schematic.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1724128

Comment

As mentioned make sure all electrical connections are good, especially the ground. Try LED bulbs, you might have to try a few to get really bright ones. These guy might help. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/

I replaced every bulb in my car with LED's (12V) from ebay for under $30 and have enough left for at least another car, maybe two. Solid state flashers that are adjustable and work with LED's, incandescent's or both combined are about $1 on ebay.

Comment

FWIW, I haven't had success with LEDs anywhere in the turn signal circuits on my 6 volt 52. I found the correct 6V positive ground LEDs, and am using an electronic flasher designed for them. But I get all kinds of strange behavior, both sides flashing at the same time, no taillights, etc. once I add the LED lamps. Tail lights, front park/turn, indicator lamps in the dash - all or any, they will not operate correctly. I may be doing something wrong but I don't think so, as long as I use regular bulbs all is fine.
                    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

Other than making certain all contacts are clean and painting the housing white (NOT silver) I've done nothing to improve the tail lights on my '51 and they are plenty bright; as bright as the tail lights in my S-10. Even the tail/brake light in my '33 Rockne is plenty bright. I just wish there was one on the right as well as the left.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I agree with rockne10. All my Studebakers and Model A's are stock 6 volts with regular bulbs, and I think they light up fine. I don't like to mess up success.

Comment

Thanks all. The car will be getting a complete rewire in the future, but right now I want to enjoy driving it a while before diving into that. I'll double check all of the connections.

My main concern with the rear lights is that there's only little bulb.. Modern cars have brake lights that are 10x as big and bright as the ones on this car and that's what people are used to. I live in a busy college town and have been rear ended once already, maybe I'm paranoid for wanting an improvement.

I know it's out there for 12V applications; is anyone aware of an LED circuit board taillight setup for 6V?

I'll also look into the 3rd brake light idea, thanks for the link on that.

Comment

Question about flashers
                            I installed LED bulbs (park, brake, turn) in my 64 Hawk, used the same flasher as the standard bulbs and everything worked fine.

I took that to the next level and installed the same bulbs in my 70 Avanti, used the standard flasher and the LEDs blinked about once every 5 seconds. So went online to fleabay and bought a well recognized LED electronic flasher, installed it, grounded the wire off the top to the dash brace. Now nothing works. Put the old one back in and I've got 5 second blinks..
                            Any thoughts?

thx
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                              Question about flashers
                              I installed LED bulbs (park, brake, turn) in my 64 Hawk, used the same flasher as the standard bulbs and everything worked fine.

I took that to the next level and installed the same bulbs in my 70 Avanti, used the standard flasher and the LEDs blinked about once every 5 seconds. So went online to fleabay and bought a well recognized LED electronic flasher, installed it, grounded the wire off the top to the dash brace. Now nothing works. Put the old one back in and I've got 5 second blinks..
                              Any thoughts?

thx
                              You don't want the one with the ground wire. Here is the one you need. (Triden brand) Click image for larger version

Name:	91064047_L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1724134It's the exact opposite of what they recommend however, it is what has worked for me always.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X