Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was Studebaker's First Year and Model for In Dash A/C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Studebaker's First Year and Model for In Dash A/C?

Studebaker was a leader in design, but it seems they were late with installing air conditioning in the dash.
    I was just wonder what year and model finally got the A/C in the dash?

If I understand your question correctly the only Studebaker with in dash a/c was the Avanti. All others had the underdash "add-on" units.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My 1956 President Classic had a trunk mounted air with the Studebaker plate on the unit with the plastic tubes coming out off the rear package shelf. My understanding for the under dash unit was first available in 1958.

Bob Miles
      Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
        If I understand your question correctly the only Studebaker with in dash a/c was the Avanti. All others had the underdash "add-on" units.
        That's what I thought, but then I also forgot about the trunk mounted unit Bob just mentioned.
        Now I wonder what years and models offered the trunk units?

Comment

Studebaker was not really late in installing in-dash air conditioning. The company stopped producing cars about the time the integrated air conditioning systems were becoming available in most cars. Of course, some of the more expensive models got it a bit earlier.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Mustangs in the mid-1960's had under-dash, add-on A/C units.
            -Dwight

Comment

Did any of the "67 / 68" prototypes have integrated AC units? I never really paid attention the few times I got to see them. It was going to take a whole new heater box design in order for Studebaker to accomplish it.

Comment

Even the Avanti's a/c wasn't integral...the a/c and heat were two distinct systems independent of one another. You could run them both at the same time...an integrated system won't do that. I believe that was pretty common among manufacturers at the time.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  Studebaker was not really late in installing in-dash air conditioning. The company stopped producing cars about the time the integrated air conditioning systems were becoming available in most cars. Of course, some of the more expensive models got it a bit earlier.
                  In 1971 I saw a 1955 Chevy 2 door sedan with factory air in the dash, and it was for sale for only $450. It was in New Mexico and I saw it on my way home, but foolishly didn't buy it.

Comment

No Studebakers had in-dash A/C (Avantis had non-integrated A/C units in the console). The only Studebakers with integrated (takes in outside air) A/C was offered in 1961 Larks.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This 57 President we had for a while had that huge unit mounted in the trunk. Seems like it had a Harrison tag on it also.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I forgot about the 61 Unit. My 61 Cruiser had that unit.

Bob Miles
                        Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                          Did any of the "67 / 68" prototypes have integrated AC units? I never really paid attention the few times I got to see them. It was going to take a whole new heater box design in order for Studebaker to accomplish it.
                          I don't believe any engineering drawings or artists' renderings for the Intermediate-sized car that was being worked on in late 1963 (which would have had an Avanti appearance) have ever been located. Being a more upmarket car, it probably would have had a 'deluxe' a/c option with in-dash a/c vents as the higher priced option, with the under-dash a/c as an 'economy' offering. Ford offered both a 'deluxe' Select-Aire and an 'economy' Polar-Aire a/c package at one time.

Craig

Comment

Then some fool decides that he really wants his Studebaker A/C to be "In Dash".

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2325.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1724123 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2323.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1724124 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2330.jpg
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1724125
                            Jim Bradley
                            Lake Monticello, VA
                            '78 Avanti II
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rerun View Post
                              Then some fool decides that he really wants his Studebaker A/C to be "In Dash".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76539[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]76542[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]76543[/ATTACH]
                              That is quite a compromise. It turned the radio into an under dash unit and how about the use of the glove box? Is this an integrated unit (utilizing outside air)?
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X