54 Commander, automatoc / IDLE adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 54 Commander, automatoc / IDLE adjust

Our 54 commander runs beautifully and idles perfect in Park. When you pull it into gear and hold the brake like you were sitting at a stop light, the RPM drops way down and then when you try to take off and give it gas, the engine dies unless you gently pat the throttle to get the RPM to come back up. If you just give it the gas as you would expect, it will choke off every time.

I have run the normal idle adjustment up until I am out of adjusting screw. It raises the idle RPM when in park but as soon as I put it in gear the rpm drops way down again and you have a hard time taking off from a stop without the car cutting off.

I assume I am doing something wrong here. There must be another adjustment somewhere, or maybe there is something about the trans that needs to be adjusted. This car is stock with the original automatic trans.

Please educate me on what I am doing wrong.

Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Is the Throttle Link from the Bellcrank to the Carb. still a COIL SPRING, or has it been converted to the '56 and up "Adjustable Rod"?

Also is there a Set Screw and lock Nut STOP on the Bellcrank that also may need adjustment?

Does it have the PROPER Return Springs?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It still has the spring between the carb and bell crank. It does have the proper return spring. Will have to look at the bell crank to see if there is an adjustment there. I didn't build this car so I don't know the details as well as I know my Hawk.
      Wayne
      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X