Finding a Brand New Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Brand New Studebaker?

Has anyone ever come across a new Studebaker tucked away, like this VW was?
    What a fantastic find that would be. Not only to own such a car, but think of the great help it would be for details in restoring other Studebakers like it.
    It sure would present a dilemma though, because why own it if you can't drive it, and if you drive it you destroy the value.

Not a Studebaker, but as I was leaving Palm Springs after the Zone Meet, there was a classic car sales lot that included a 1931 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton, and other cars like a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible. In the showroom was an all white 1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V with 27 miles on it for a mere $55,000.

At the Zone Meet we has a great showing with 62 cars from 1918 up and at our Thursday night dinner host's home there were such hum drum offerings as a 1938 Commander Convertible sedan

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

I would guess that finding a "new" unused Studebaker today would be highly unlikely. But never say never. Anything is possible and wouldn't that cause a stir in the Studebaker community. There have been a couple of documented extremely low mileage examples. One of them owned by Wayne Carini. The other was written about in Turning Wheels not long ago that resides in Australia (if memory serves me).
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

As I recall, when Studebaker ceased production in 1966, the dealer in Emmaus, PA had several left overs well into the early 70's. Had I known then what I know now...... stupak

Comment

I heard a 'story' from the elder track announcer at my local strip last Saturday....
          He told me about an older gent in Savannah that had a 1929 Studebaker sedan... He used to deliver papers to his house.
          Kept it for years. Ran great. Serviced regularly and meticulously.
          He told me the local Studebaker dealer had a standing offer with the older gent to 'exchange' his '29 for a 'new' Studebaker at no charge.
          He said the gent never would do it. The track announcer told me that he did some yard work for him and was taken into his garage/shed behind his house.
          Inside there was the '29.. With a lacy fabric curtain that hung from the second story floor beams...to keep the barn dust off of it.
          I was told that after the old gent passed, the '29 was willed to his grandson, and where it went to is unknown....
          The kicker to this story is....
          When the family went into the garage/barn to get the '29.....
          They went up into the loft of the garage/barn.... and up there, under another lacy cloth cover, was another '29 Studebaker sedan...
          Brand new. Never used. Never touched.

I know this is just a 'story' as told by a guy... But.... The 20's and 30's were a strange and hard time. People saved and protected things.
          Not so much today....
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff,
            You would think someone, somewhere would know some details about your very strange story. Lets hope the mystery of two '29's in one location gets unraveled and the eventual disposition of both cars is explained.
            Bill

Comment

In about 1973, there were a few new 1963 Avantis sold by ex-dealers. I do not know why they all appeared about the same time.

There is a local Honda dealer that started as a Volvo dealer that still has a new Volvo PV 544 (about a 1959 model, IIRC) in stock.

I worked in a restoration shop that the building was originally a Ford dealership (about 1920s). The owner had a first place/BOS restored Packard Hawk. In the Winter he would remove one temporary wall and put the Packard where it could be seen through the showroom window. There was a story started that there was a new Packard left in this old showroom.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There was a 1951 Champion with just a few hundred miles on Ebay a few years back. It ended up in Wa state, I gave it its first tune up and oil change. It needed a bunch of stuff done to it but it was pretty clear it had no miles. The newspaper says 260 miles, because we drove it around !

Studebaker judge Morris Haw looks deep into the original paint on a 1951 Studebaker Champion on display at the Can-Am Zone Meet for Studebaker owners from the West Coast and Canada, which continues this morning in Everett at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel, 3105 Pine St.

Comment

Around 1979 I read a article in Road & Track?? about a '59 Chevy that the owner drove home something like 20miles from the dealer and put it up on blocks. Wow, this is almost 40yrs ago and I was in "Junior High" aka Middle School in today's terms. Wonder if that Chevy is still up on those blocks? At that time it was not all that old, like having a NOS 1998 Chevy on blocks today (and who would do that?).

To bring this back to Studebakers, I think there have been a few cars posted about here with only a few 1000 miles on them and were probably as close as one could get.

Jeff in ND

Comment

There is the 1964 in the Studebaker museum, the last Studebaker that came down the production line. Let's hope it never comes up for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      I would guess that finding a "new" unused Studebaker today would be highly unlikely. But never say never. Anything is possible and wouldn't that cause a stir in the Studebaker community. There have been a couple of documented extremely low mileage examples. One of them owned by Wayne Carini. The other was written about in Turning Wheels not long ago that resides in Australia (if memory serves me).
                      That particular car is getting driven some, where its now over 100 miles on the odometer. It has only 74 or so here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...es-on-odometer

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                        Not a Studebaker, but as I was leaving Palm Springs after the Zone Meet, there was a classic car sales lot that included a 1931 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton, and other cars like a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible. In the showroom was an all white 1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V with 27 miles on it for a mere $55,000.

At the Zone Meet we has a great showing with 62 cars from 1918 up and at our Thursday night dinner host's home there were such hum drum offerings as a 1938 Commander Convertible sedan

Bob Miles
                        Bob; If the '38 Convertible Sedan was red and belonged to Frank Wenzel it is a President Eight (not a Commander Six). One of three.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                          There was a 1951 Champion with just a few hundred miles on Ebay a few years back. It ended up in Wa state, I gave it its first tune up and oil change. It needed a bunch of stuff done to it but it was pretty clear it had no miles. The newspaper says 260 miles, because we drove it around !

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/automotive-beauty/
                          I read the story, and the ungrateful son was a fool. I wish there had been pictures of the 51, and I wonder what it sold for on ebay?

Comment

Yup, Richard, Bob is describing Frank's gorgeous '38.
                            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Thanks for the correction. I admit that the hood was not open and I was not about to open it! One of 98 President Convertible Sedans made and only 3 left? Start looking in garages and barns. The glow I have from all the shiny cars at the meet is still clouding my vision.

Bob Miles

Comment

Working...
                              X