The Studebaker and me on a date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Studebaker and me on a date!

That's right, I had my first date today and used my Studebaker to do it. You would think that with a last name like Carr, she would be more of an enthusiast, but she isn't. However, she's such a sweet girl that I really do care about. Who knows? She could eventually become a Studephile like the rest of us here as she seemed to enjoy mine plenty.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

My wife and I had our first date in a 50 Champion. Been married 54 years.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Congratulations!

She might have been too shy to notice the car. Or she might have been overwhelmed by the charm of her date. Give her some time and she might come around.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

At the PSW Zone meet in Palm Springs this weekend, I was facilitating a Chapter/Zone Meeting. When I asked the question toward the end of the meeting, one member said "I met and found my man through Studebaker". Be still my heart! She is now heading the Zone Meet in 2019 in Sacramento.

Bob Miles
        Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator 2018-2020

Comment

I'm not going to say anything...

...except I sense danger so thread slowly and purposely.

Comment

Took a girl on our first date in a 50 Champion convertible. Married 56 years, and there is still a Studebaker in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
              Took a girl on our first date in a 50 Champion convertible. Married 56 years, and there is still a Studebaker in the garage.
              Well, Jim; you had the deck stacked in your favor...all the girls in South Bend had to date some guy in a Studebaker back then or they would have had to stay home and watch TV! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
                That's right, I had my first date today and used my Studebaker to do it. You would think that with a last name like Carr, she would be more of an enthusiast, but she isn't. However, she's such a sweet girl that I really do care about. Who knows? She could eventually become a Studephile like the rest of us here as she seemed to enjoy mine plenty.
                They don't have to be car nuts, Jake; you just have to monitor their tolerance level going in...

My dear wife of 42 years, when asked the year of my '64 Daytona convertible at a car show several years ago, famously said, "I think he said it's a '64!" BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Good for you Jake, but be careful.. Sometimes they only pretend to like our Studebakers to make a good first impression.

Comment

Guys it not Studebaker, it's an old car thing, you know the drill, "they smell old", "there hot", "there not cool", so on and so on. But that's ok I like Studebaker's, college basketball,
                    and Pro and college football. She likes estate sales, furniture stores and on line shopping. It's worked for 34 years, so I guess it's ok,
                    I've always said having a Studebaker is cheaper than a girl friend, I can't afford both.

Comment

When we met, Cathy had a 1949 Champion and I had a 1957 President Classic. We have been married 55 years. She has always said that she wanted to meet me because of my Studebaker.
                      Last edited by studegary; 10-21-2018, 04:52 PM. Reason: missing e
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My car in high school was my hand me down rusty old '61 Hawk.
                        My high school girlfriend, Carrie, sort of tolerated it.
                        Named the car "Carrie's Curse" as she always had to put up with Studebaker's...

Anyways... 50+ years later.... Still have the car.. Still have the tee shirt.... Still have the girl..
                        You just never know where a Studebaker will take you in life.
                        It's all good!

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

She might not be a car nut but as long she says "'yer awryte as long as ya keep that Studebaker..." you'll be on the right track.
                          (Kinda... )

Comment

OK, without a picture.........it didn't happen. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	Peanuts and Studebaker.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1724110

Comment

Funny how things sometimes look in the rear view mirror...I once had a date with a local high-school coach's daughter. I had graduated a year earlier from another school just across the state line. Her parents were not impressed when I showed up in my Oldsmobile V8 powered 1928 Model-A coupe. Therefore our (only) date became a couple hours sitting on the front porch swing with her mom serving ice cream.

Years later, I encountered a person who complained about his neighbor's wife making advances on him. It took a while for me to make the connection, but when I did, I realized that it was that coach's daughter after several marriages. Fortunately for me, I held my tongue and didn't let on that I knew her. The current husband was someone I also knew, although I hadn't heard from either in years and didn't know they had married each other.

Poor girl/woman...In those young years, she was most popular and all the rage in the community as a teenager...but in the rear view mirror...walking away from that porch with only a belly full of ice cream was a treat and big blessing!

Just remember, the person you see in the mirror every day, don't look like the person you saw a couple of decades ago...even if you take care of it.

But...if you take care of it...that old Studebaker, '48, '55, or '64...will still look the same.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X