Great Stude exposure @ 2018 MCACN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Stude exposure @ 2018 MCACN!

Update Monday, November 19, 2018: I was going to start a new thread to report the event last weekend and post a few photos myself, but I see that several guys have posted to this thread, which is fine. So rather than start a new thread, I changed the title of this one.

Scroll down to Post #27 and following to see photos and items about the 2018 show.

It was a great time. Congratulations to Ed George and the team. BP

Congratulations again to Ed George and team for the promised high-performance Studebaker exposure at the up-coming 2018 Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals [MCACN] show at the enormous Stevens Convention Center in Rosemont IL November 17 and 18, 2018.

'Just received the fancy, full-color promo magazine for this year's show in today's mail. Studebaker is given a nice write-up and photos on Page 44: (Click to enlarge)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018MCACNStudepromo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1759620

Yes, The Studebaker National Museum is bringing the last South-Bend built "Lark," the Bordeaux Red, R1/4-speed Daytona hardtop, to the 2018 MCACN show. It will be displayed alongside the first 1963 R1/4-speed Daytona hardtop, also at the show.

Further, George Krem's famous Plain Brown Wrapper 1964 R3 Challenger will be shown here at MCACN for the first time in 2018, along with who knows how many surprises to which Studebaker fans will be treated. (Ed George needs a genuine ten-gallon hat to hold all the Studebaker rabbits he keeps pulling out every year.) The whole show is sensory overload for any high-performance car enthusiast; we hope many will be able to attend.

Words can neither describe this show nor shower enough praise on Ed and Cyndi George for being so dedicated to Studebaker's continued presence at MCACN. The photo at the bottom of that promo piece shows promoter Bob Ashton between Cyndi and Ed. Bob Ashton could not be more enthusiastic about Studebaker's MCACN presence every year, and Ed George is the Point Man for this continuing effort.

'Looking forward to seeing everyone there. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-19-2018, 09:01 AM. Reason: Corrected year of first R1/4-speed Daytona hardtop, per Jim Pepper's later post.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Now that is just awesome. Ed is doing a steller job of promoting our marque at this event and the rising respect for muscle powered Studebakers seems to be growing as a result. This article is a great shout out to Ed, and Studebakers. Way to go, Ed.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
      Now that is just awesome. Ed is doing a steller job promoting our marque at this event and the rising respect for muscle powered Studebakers seems to be growing as a result. This article is a great shout out to Ed, and Studebakers. Way to go, Ed.
      Right, Ed; thanks.

Like Carly Simon said years ago, "Nobody does it better." (Hmmm....I suppose we should ask Cyndi George about that... ) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great promotion, but couldn't they have used one of the Studebakers for the picture?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Great promotion, but couldn't they have used one of the Studebakers for the picture?
          The Packard Hawk was probably used because it was at the end of the row of Studebakers, by a corner intersection of two aisles. Thus, there was space in front of it to compose the photo without having to worry about another car being in the way for that professional promo picture. Besides, 99 out of 100 people looking at that photo from that distance would identify the Packard Hawk as a Studebaker anyway, so why nit-pick the endeavor? It serves no useful purpose.

Further, Ed George wanted to promote The Studebaker National Museum's participation, going to the trouble and expense of bringing cars from their collection to the show. The Packard Hawk was displayed on the end so Andy Beckman could set up a small display (temporarily removed for the photo) to promote The Studebaker National Museum on that aisle intersection, which worked out well.

The Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals, thanks to Ed George and Bob Ashton, has morphed into the most prestigious static Studebaker exposure every year in the collector-car world, just as The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race morphed into the premier exposure for mobile Studebaker high-performance promotion. BP
          Last edited by BobPalma; 10-19-2018, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Bob,
            Thanks again for the post and your unlimited promotion of our favorite brand. No nit picks necessary as it was a great exposure in an otherwise primarily Corvette event.
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
              No nit picks necessary as it was a great exposure in an otherwise primarily Corvette event.
              Obviously, you've never been there before. Trust us, there are WAY more Muscle Cars to see than just Corvettes!!

Besides all of the (once) Big Three's offerings, it also include AMC and of course, Studebaker.

Craig

Comment

Last year was my first trip to the MCACN show when Ed invited my Speedster to help round out the Studebaker display. MCACN is a great show with over twelve inside acres of performance cars. Ed George showed great leadership getting the show to display Studebakers, getting the Studebakers in a primo location on the show floor and shepherding the exhibitors to the show. Thank you Ed for your passionate, tireless promotion of our Studebakers.
                Bill
                http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
                sigpic

Comment

Ed also invited us to bring our '41 R-2 powered Champion this time as they are also featuring some of the cars that compete at the "Studebaker Nationals" drag races at Brown County Dragway but we just could not make it. We would have been the oldest car there probably. We appreciate the invite though!
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

We plan to have the Wrapper there for the first time this year. 'Looking forward to it. Everything I've heard about this show makes me think I've been missing something by not getting there in previous years. Thanks for the invite, Ed!

George
                    george krem

Comment

Bob , Thanks for this post and also recognizing the Team it takes to pull this off . Bob Ashton has been on board with Studes attending since 2013 when Eric and I 1st displayed our cars in a Class Of 1963 Display and we well received . We consider Bob and his wife Vicky to be friends of our family after getting to know them over the last few years and they promote SDC and The National Museum so we are all thankful for that . The only correction is we are going to have the 1st 1963 Daytona R1 4speed and the Museums is the last so that will be the 1st time they are together since the 1963 got shipped to California when new . Around 20 thousand attend and will all pass Ted Harbits Stude hauler with the Stude Tomato on it in the lobby so that the 3rd time we’ve been given a spot in that location . Nelson’s R-3 Commander was brought to Chicagoland yesterday so my son and Luke will detail it so that means the Show is fast approaching . Glad to have George Krem bring the Plain Brown Wrapper this year and hope George’s experience at the Show goes well since he’s invited back next year to be in the Pure Stock Dispay . They very rarely allow cars to come back that soon but Bob Ashton said since its a Stude he will allow it . Gary Wood is bringing a fresh painted unfinished R-2 Daytona hardtop to get hand lettered as it was when it was raced which is also another 1st for the Show to have a car lettered up during the Show . The plan is then to bring it back next year finished to be revealed next year in a group of Studes that are shown to the public for the 1st time since the restoration was completed . Jim Pepper has recently signed up to be a Judge since we have a 1963 Avanti registered to be Concours Judged and will be helping his friend Craig bring the 1963 R1 Daytona to the Show . While at the Pure Stocks Bob Ashton and I talked to Richard Poe and Rich Meadows about being in a 2nd display featuring cars that are still competing using Stude engines . George Shirley is planning to bring his Orange Lark also so we are bending the rules a bit and Bob likes that . I hope this 2nd Display will continue with cars like Franks 41 going forward and lots of possibilities . We also have Dave Warren bring his 55 Commander from Canada and think the Laughlin’s with their 1964 Daytona to be in the Pure Stock Display . Past Show updates have been done by Craig Parslow since the Jet Thrust News was reintroduced at the 2016 Show . Craig makes a big commitment to attend since 2015 and been a big help so thanks Craig ! Hope I didn’t leave anyone out in this since I don’t consider myself to be a great writer . We also will have some group shots that usually happen on Saturday so if there are any questions please PM or call me at 708 250-2213 . Thanks Ed

Comment

Will probably have the Plain Brown Wrapper right next to the strato blue R3 Commander. It’s been a few years since it’s seen the light of day. I’m anxious to see what it looks like once Luke, Eddie and the boys spit shine it up.

Comment

The first R1, 4 speed Daytona is an Ermine white 63. I'm bringing it there.
                          james r pepper

Comment

Picture from the paint shop today of the frame-off redo of this Ohio drag car I am bringing to be hand lettered in Chicago. Followed by a period picture (I have posted before). I will need help pushing it into and out of the show, but I know I can count on the help of all the people that make this show happen. Ed causes me a lot of work but I love it as it makes me finish up projects, and this show is a lot of fun. I have watched intently on this forum the great progress of the Whistler and ABKCOs junkyard find 63 Daytona which seem to be going much faster than this project.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gwood View Post
                              Picture from the paint shop today of the frame-off redo of this Ohio drag car I am bringing to be hand lettered in Chicago. Followed by a period picture (I have posted before). I will need help pushing it into and out of the show, but I know I can count on the help of all the people that make this show happen. Ed causes me a lot of work but I love it as it makes me finish up projects, and this show is a lot of fun. I have watched intently on this forum the great progress of the Whistler and ABKCOs junkyard find 63 Daytona which seem to be going much faster than this project.
                              That's great, Gary; 'looking forward to seeing it in November. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X